Dravid eager to perform for RoyalsApril 5th, 2012 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, April 5 (IANS) Retirement from international cricket has not affected Rahul Dravid’s love for the game and he is keen on performing for the Rajasthan Royals in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
Dravid replaces Australian spin legend Shane Warne as captain and coach of the Royals. He turned out for Royal Challengers Bangalore in previous IPL editions.
Royals’ IPL-V opener against Kings XI Punjab will be the first time Dravid takes the field after ending his illustrious international career last month.
The 39-year-old said he was at ease with playing T20 and his main challenge would be to galvanize the team.
“I have been playing in this format for the past four years so I do not think there would be any different feeling. I can say I am a lot more keen and focused,” Dravid told reporters ahead of the match Friday.
“I have taken over as captain, coach and mentor from Shane Warne so there are expectations but I feel these are more of words and basically it is more about coordinating with the support staff to get the results,” he said.
The veteran is also looking forward to work with the talented bunch of domestic players in the squad.
“Every team has to rely on domestic players as it is a team game, the four overseas players are not enough.
“I am happy that we have some very exciting players in Ajinkya Rahane, Ashok Menaria and few more.”
Dravid spoke highly of Menaria.
“Menaria is an exciting talent and the way he has been batting for the last seven days in the camp here has been sensational. He is at a very important stage of his career. I hope good performance in the IPL takes him forward.
“I would be happy if I am able to use my experience and help the youngsters like Menaria and Rahane to climb up the ladder,” he added.
- Ready to step aside if suitable opener found: Dravid - May 21, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to bat against Pune Warriors - May 13, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to bat against Daredevils - May 01, 2012
- Dravid named captain of Rajasthan Royals - Dec 03, 2011
- Pune Warriors opt to bat against Rajasthan Royals - May 08, 2012
- Rajasthan opt to bat againsr Deccan Chargers - May 18, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to bat against Mumbai Indians - May 20, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals elect to bat against Super Kings - Apr 21, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals win toss, opt to bat - Apr 13, 2012
- Super Kings opt to field against Royals - May 10, 2012
- Deccan Chargers opt to bat against Rajasthan Royals - Apr 17, 2012
- Kings XI Punjab elect to field against Rajasthan Royals - Apr 06, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to bowl against Mumbai Indians - Apr 11, 2012
- Knight Riders put Royals to bat - Apr 08, 2012
- This is how 10 teams shape up for IPL-4 - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: ashok, challengers, different feeling, international career, international cricket, ipl, jaipur, ladder, match, mentor, premier league, punjab, seven days, shane warne, support staff, t20, talented bunch, team game, veteran, youngsters