Dozens killed in suspected massacre in eastern Congo: ReportNovember 7th, 2008 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Goma (Congo), Nov 7 (DPA) Forces of rebel general Laurent Nkunda were suspected in a massacre of dozens of young men in the eastern Congo town of Kiwanja, BBC reported Friday morning.BBC said the United Nations was looking into reports, coming after the rebel forces recaptured the town which pro-government Mai-Mai militias had briefly taken control of.
The report cited relief organisation workers as saying that they found dozens of corpses of young men believed to have been Mai-Mai fighters, in the town.
Meanwhile the aid organisation Save the Children reported a massive rise in forced recruitment of child soldiers amid the heavy fighting in eastern Congo.
Especially worrisome was that in at least two cases, schools were attacked as armed groups sought to capture as many children as possible, a spokeswoman for the organisation said.
The UN was set to hold a crisis summit in the Kenyan capital Nairobi Friday in a new attempt to seek a political solution to the conflict.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon was due to attend the meeting.
- Congolese rebel leader threatens war if talks not held - Nov 30, 2008
- More than 150 women raped in Congolese village, says UN - Aug 24, 2010
- About 160 women raped per week in Congo: UN - Feb 09, 2010
- 240 victims of mass rape in Congo: UN - Sep 02, 2010
- Indian troops save local woman from rape by Congo rebels - Jan 24, 2011
- Thousands of Congolese refugees flee fresh fighting - Nov 28, 2008
- UN accuses Congo militas of war crimes - Nov 09, 2008
- Peace talks with Congolese rebels fail - Dec 11, 2008
- UN Security Council condemns rape in Congo - Aug 26, 2010
- Thousands flee as UN, Congolese army battle rebels - Oct 28, 2008
- UN aid convoy set to depart for conflict-hit Congo areas - Nov 03, 2008
- Over 300 people raped in Congo: UN report - Sep 24, 2010
- 10 killed as UN plane crashes - Apr 05, 2011
- Congo, Rwanda agree to attend summit on Congo violence (Lead) - Nov 01, 2008
- Over 40 Congolese rebels killed in air raid - Feb 13, 2009