Dowry death: Victim’s mother-in-law told to surrenderJune 20th, 2012 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) Taking a tough stand in a dowry death case, the Delhi High Court Wednesday asked the absconding mother-in-law of the victim to surrender to police.
Justice Veena Birbal told the mother-in-law of Iffat Hayat, who died in April in central Delhi, to surrender by June 21. Hayat’s husband Jabvad Tariq is in judicial custody.
The court was hearing a plea filed by Tariq’s younger brothers Junaid and Favvad, seeking anticipatory bail in the case.
The court restrained police from arresting the two till the next date of hearing.
Hayat’s father gave a complaint in Lahori Gate police station April 20 saying that his daughter married Tariq in October 2010 but when she gave birth to a girl her husband and mother-in-law started harassing her for dowry.
The complainant said Tariq informed one of their relatives April 19 that Hayat had consumed poison and was in hospital. She died April 21.
Appearing for the state, advocate Mukesh Gupta told the court that the victim was forced to consume poison by her husband and in-laws.
The court June 11 granted anticipatory bail to Hayat’s two sisters-in-law.
- Dowry death: Victim's brothers-in-law get anticipatory bail - Jun 22, 2012
- Bail plea of man held for wife's death rejected - Apr 11, 2011
- Delhi woman poisoned for giving birth to girl dies - Apr 21, 2012
- Delhi woman poisoned by husband for giving birth to girl - Apr 20, 2012
- Man held for dowry killing in Chandigarh - Jun 14, 2010
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- Delhi woman killed by in-laws, husband - May 05, 2012
- Dowry case: Chiranjeevi's son-in-law's bail plea rejected - Mar 24, 2011
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- Dowry death: Four booked in Punjab - Jul 01, 2011
- Punjab man gets 10-year jail for wife's dowry death - Oct 28, 2010
- Chiranjeevi's son-in-law booked for dowry harassment - Mar 15, 2011
- Man, four family members get life for wife's death - Mar 12, 2011
- Court orders allowance for widow of sacked cop - Apr 24, 2011
- Suspended Himachal cop surrenders - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: birbal, central delhi, complainant, death case, death victim, delhi high court, dowry death, hayat, judicial custody, junaid, mother in law, mukesh gupta, New Delhi, plea, police station, state advocate, tariq, two sisters, veena, younger brothers