Don’t use British jails as hotels: Indian-origin MPAugust 9th, 2012 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 9 (IANS) Jails in Britain should not be used as hotels for foreigners, Indian-origin Conservative MP Priti Patel said after reports emerged that the public was paying 400 million pounds a year to keep foreign criminals in jail.
Official figures from the justice ministry showed that more than 10,000 foreign nationals were lodged in England and Wales prisons till June, comprising about one in eight of the prison population, the Daily Express reported.
Other MPs have called for overseas criminals to serve their sentences in their own countries.
“Prison is always the best place for dangerous criminals but our jails should not be used as hotels for foreigners. Living in Britain is a privilege and foreigners who come here and flout our laws should be sent packing without delay,” Patel said.
The ministry said it costs 40,000 pounds a year to keep a foreign national in prison, leaving a total bill of 434 million pounds at current levels.
“We have voluntary prisoner transfer agreements with more than 100 countries, allowing prisoners to serve their sentences in their home countries,” a ministry spokesman said.
- Jail term over, 55 not deported from UK: Indian-origin MP - Aug 10, 2011
- Indian-origin MP faces racist attack in Britain - Feb 06, 2011
- Indian-origin MP wants more rights for British crime victims - Dec 15, 2011
- Indian-origin lawmaker faces racist attack from jailed UK axe killer - Feb 07, 2011
- 4,600 criminals let off in Britain: Indian-origin MP - Sep 14, 2012
- Britons appalled as criminals not deported: Indian-origin MP - Sep 08, 2011
- 300 criminals untraceable in Britain: Indian-origin MP - Jun 26, 2011
- Britain bribes foreign prisoners to return homes - Nov 11, 2010
- Indian jailed for tampering with British court records - Nov 19, 2011
- Britain's drug lord wants to run empire from prison - Nov 25, 2011
- Convicted drug dealer asks for sex in UK prison! - May 18, 2010
- Jailed Pakistan cricketers face deportation from Britain - Nov 12, 2011
- 4,000 foreign criminals set free in Britain - Oct 28, 2011
- Over 2000 foreign criminals have left UK with triple bribes - Nov 10, 2010
- Cash-strapped Italy to free thousands of prisoners - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: british jails, conservative mp, daily express, dangerous criminals, england and wales, foreign nationals, foreigners, home countries, indian origin, justice ministry, ministry spokesman, mps, prison population, prisoner transfer, prisoners, prisons, priti patel, privilege, sentences, transfer agreements