Don’t play with people’s lives over dam: Stalin to KeralaDecember 12th, 2011 - 1:02 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 12 (IANS) DMK leader M.K. Stalin Monday asked Kerala not to play with the lives of people of Tamil Nadu by “false propaganda” about the safety of the Mullaperiyar dam.
Addressing a gathering ahead of a protest fast at Tambaram near here, Stalin said: “Political parties in Kerala are carrying out false propaganda about the safety of Mullaperiyar dam.”
The former deputy chief minister warned them “not to play with lives of people living in southern Tamil Nadu”.
The DMK is holding a protest fast across the state between 8 a.m and 5 p.m. Monday and will organise a human chain Wednesday in Theni, Madurai, Sivaganga, Dindugal and Ramanathapuram districts.
They are demanding that the central government deploy forces at the dam and also want the water storage level to be raised to 142 ft from 136 ft as per the 2006 Supreme Court order.
The protest fast was inaugurated by DMK general secretary K. Anbazhagan and will be concluded by party president and former chief minister M. Karunanidhi at the party headquarters.
Kerala and Tamil Nadu have been at loggerheads over the dam that is located in Kerala; however, its water serves Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu wants the dam’s storage capacity to be increased while Kerala wants a new one as it fears a strong earthquake might damage the dam and cause widespread destruction.
- Mullaperiyar: Special session of Tamil Nadu assembly Thursday - Dec 14, 2011
- DMK demands all-party meet on Mullaperiyar Dam - Dec 09, 2011
- Special session of Tamil Nadu assembly on Mullaperiyar issue - Dec 11, 2011
- Kerala scheming to convert Tamil Nadu into a desert: Karunanidhi - Dec 12, 2011
- Tamil Nadu plans memorial for Mullaperiyar Dam builder - Jan 09, 2012
- The troubled waters around Mullaperiyar: a ready reckoner - Dec 07, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bans screening of 'Dam 999' - Nov 24, 2011
- May consider central security for Mullaperiyar Dam: PM (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Mullaperiyar: Karunanidhi urges PM to intervene - Dec 26, 2011
- Kudankulam, Mullaperiyar to dominate PM's Tamil Nadu visit - Dec 24, 2011
- Manmohan Singh warmly welcomed in Chennai - Dec 25, 2011
- Persuading Tamil Nadu, Kerala on Mullaperiyar: PM - Dec 17, 2011
- Kerala acting against constitution on Mullaperiyar: Tamil Nadu - Feb 05, 2011
- Jayalalithaa appeals to Kerala on Mullaperiyar dam - Dec 22, 2010
- Kerala, Tamil Nadu should compromise on dam: Vayalar Ravi (Interview) - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: central government, chennai, deputy chief minister, dmk leader, earthquake, false propaganda, general secretary, kerala, loggerheads, madurai, mullaperiyar dam, party headquarters, party president, political parties, ramanathapuram, stalin, storage capacity, storage level, tambaram, water storage