Don’t ignore us in the budget, says women’s rights groupsFebruary 17th, 2010 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) With the union budget to be presented Feb 26, women’s rights groups are urging Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee to allocate more money for schemes that directly benefit women.
Ranjana Kumari of the Women Power Connect (WPC) said in a letter to the finance minister that was signed by other women’s groups: “Last year’s budget speech was a big disappointment as a large part of the budgetary allocations showed a decline in the over all funds earmarked for the ministry of women and child development (MWCD)”.
“This year we hope that there is a substantial increase in funds for women friendly schemes and programmes under the MWCD,” she added.
Kumari said some laws are not being implemented well simply because there are not enough funds being allocated for their implementation.
“While the Domestic Violence Act is in place, a majority of women are not able to avail the benefits provided under the Act because no funds have been allocated for it. The union government says it is a state subject while the states do not give adequate funds for its implementation as they believe they have other priorities,” she said.
“We also request the government to form a women’s skill development fund which promotes institutions training women workers in area specific market skills,” Kumari said.
The other groups that associated themselves with the petition were Saathi and Centre for Social Research.
- 'More funds needed for women, child development' - Feb 28, 2011
- 'Enforcement of laws on women hit by lack of funds' - Jul 12, 2012
- Crime against women rise in northeast - Feb 14, 2012
- Budgetary allocation doubled but mixed response in northeast (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- 50 percent women married as minors: Experts - Mar 28, 2011
- Highlights of Union Budget 2011-12 (Part-V) - Feb 28, 2011
- Education gets 24 percent hike in budget allocation - Feb 28, 2011
- Budget hike for social sector garners mixed response - Mar 17, 2012
- Northeast to get Rs.93 crore for airport development - Feb 28, 2011
- Employment growth vital for ensuring development process: Mukherjee - Jan 12, 2011
- One-third HIV cases in age group 15-24: UNICEF report - Feb 25, 2011
- Education gets 24 percent hike (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Delhi's pocket swells 16 percent in budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Online course on political leadership for women launched - Dec 02, 2009
- Development sector satisfied with budget, question implementation - Jul 06, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,