Donations by president: Information panel’s order stayedMay 29th, 2012 - 11:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 29 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday stayed a Central Information Commission (CIC) order to the government to disclose the donations made by the president on humanitarian grounds between 2004-11.
Justice Vipin Sanghi was hearing the plea filed by the government challenging the May 4 order of the CIC on a Right to Information (RTI) application filed by Nitesh Kumar Tripathy in June 2011.
The court passed the order after hearing the arguments of Additional Solicitor General A.S. Chandhiok, appearing for the president’s secretariat.
During the course of the hearing, the court said that “the president is not above the law” and the public has the right to know about the donation made by the president out of the taxpayers’ money.
“If it is the taxpayers’ money, every citizen is entitled to know how much is doled out to whom,” Justice Sanghi added.
The CIC in its order had observed that “the donations given by the president of India out of the public funds cannot be treated differently from the subsidy given by the government to citizens under various welfare schemes”.
Chandhiok contended before the court that the information sought under the RTI Act on the financial assistance given under the president’s discretionary grant would infringe upon the privacy of the party receiving the funds.
- President comes under RTI, make donations public: Court (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Court stays order to make president's donations public - Jul 13, 2012
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- Court stays information panel's order to RBI on RTI plea - Dec 09, 2011
- Court suspends order to Delhi Police to provide Bhushan CD - Dec 09, 2011
- No disclosure of names of donors to PM's relief fund: Court - Jul 06, 2012
- Court stays information panel's order on banks (Lead) - Dec 08, 2011
- Government gets Delhi High Court contempt notice - May 09, 2012
- Is CIC empowered to prosecute for perjury? Court issues notice - Dec 23, 2011
- Court stays order to provide Tehelka report to Fernandes - Jul 22, 2011
- Global Vectra probe to be over in three weeks, court told - May 18, 2012
- Apex court restores powers of transparency panel chief - Oct 18, 2010
- Ex-judge moves high court over complaint against him - Feb 01, 2011
- No need to make emergency documents public: Court - Jul 12, 2011
- Court blocks Narayanan-Vajpayee letters on Gujarat riots (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: cic, citizen, delhi high court, donations, financial assistance, humanitarian grounds, information commission, information panel, New Delhi, plea, president of india, rti act, sanghi, secretariat, solicitor general, subsidy, taxpayers, tripathy, vipin, welfare schemes