Don-turned-legislator booked under stringent lawApril 29th, 2008 - 9:15 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, April 29 (IANS) Underworld don-turned-legislator Arun Gawli was Tuesday booked under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) on the charge of extorting money from realty developers. Simultaneously, Mumbai Police have unearthed evidence of the involvement of Gawli’s associates in the March 2, 2007 killing of Shiv Sena corporator Kamlakar Jamsandekar in Andheri, north-west Mumbai.
Gawli, who was arrested April 21 in connection with the same case, was produced before a court which has remanded him and seven of his accomplices under MCOCA to police custody till May 14.
Besides Gawli, a legislator representing the Chinchpokli constituency in south-central Mumbai, the other accused are his brother Vijay Ahire, Dinesh Narkar, Mohammed Qureshi, Sudhir Ghorpade, Ajit Rane, Shrikrishna Gurav and Sanjay Kambli.
The police contend that the plot to kill Jamsandekar was hatched in Gawli’s fortress-like bastion, Dagdi Chawl, though his direct involvement remains to be established.
Gawli, president of the Akhil Bharatiya Sena (ABS), was elected to the Maharashtra assembly by a handsome margin in the last elections in 2004, securing over 92,000 votes.
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Intro Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- Arun Gawli: The don is finally nailed - Aug 31, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others convicted for Sena leader's murder - Aug 24, 2012
- Arun Gawli's party to contest 25 seats in BMC polls - Jan 26, 2012
- A peek inside a crime don's lair - Sep 01, 2012
- Gawli's punishment for murder to be fixed Friday - Aug 28, 2012
- Don Arun Gawli opts out of poll, to support Milind Deora - Apr 07, 2009
- Mafia don Arun Gawli gets bail in extortion case - Jul 02, 2010
- Mafia dons humbled at the ballot - Oct 22, 2009
- Konkan Congress strongman joins NCP - Jan 30, 2012
- Arun Gawli denied ticket, breaks away from BSP - Mar 27, 2009
- NGO demands 'cover up' for Shiv vada-paav stalls - Jan 10, 2012
- Supreme Court rejects Arun Gawli's bail plea (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010