Don Bosco warden arrested in Bengal on charges of sodomyJuly 16th, 2012 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 16 (IANS) A hostel superintendent was arrested Monday for allegedly sexually assaulting a class V student of Don Bosco School at Sagardighi in West Bengal’s Murshidabad district, police said.
“Father J. Soren was arrested Monday and booked for sexual assault after being accused by the father of a ten-year-old boy, a boarder in the school’s hostel, of calling him to his room and sexually assaulting him,” Additional Superintendent of Police Mrinal Majumdar told IANS.
Soren has been charged under section 377 of the Indian Penal Code which deals with sodomy and carries a maximum punishment of life imprisonment.
The incident happened Wednesday night when Soren called the child and allegedly assaulted him sexually. The child later told about the incident to his father - a resident of Raghunathganj, some 277 km from Kolkata - following which a police complaint was lodged.
Earlier, a high school teacher in North 24 Parganas was arrested and later granted bail for allegedly strip-searching a class VIII girl in front of other teachers.
Founded by Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore, the Vishwa-Bharati University hogged the limelight after a class 5 student of the affiliated Patha Bhavan was made to lick her own urine as punishment for bed-wetting by a warden Uma Poddar.
Poddar was arrested and later granted bail.
The incident attracted severe criticism from all quarters and also reached the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has sought detailed reports from the university and the state government.
- Viswa-Bharati shocker: PMO seeks report, earden gets bail (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2012
- PMO seeks report in Visva-Bharti incident - Jul 09, 2012
- Viswa-Bharati row: Warden gets bail, court censures police (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- More from Bengal schools: Two girls asked to disrobe - Jul 14, 2012
- Shantiniketan school girl made to drink urine for bedwetting - Jul 08, 2012
- Viswa Bharati case: warden and parents held - Jul 09, 2012
- Vishva Bharati case: Girl yet to recover from shock (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Shantiniketan school girl made to drink urine for bedwetting (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Vishva-Bharati case: Girl refuses to go back to school - Jul 10, 2012
- Visva-Bharati incident a criminal offence, says Krishna Tirath - Jul 10, 2012
- Visva Bharati shocker: Varsity team visits student - Jul 12, 2012
- Visva-Bharati warden's action traditional cure: Agnivesh - Jul 10, 2012
- Visva Bharati victim joins another school - Jul 18, 2012
- Visva-Bharati row: Varsity regrets incident, asks girl to return - Jul 12, 2012
- Child panel demands report in Visva-Bharati incident - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: boarder, district police, don bosco school, high school teacher, indian penal code, kolkata, life imprisonment, limelight, majumdar, maximum punishment, mrinal, murshidabad district, nobel laureate, patha, police complaint, rabindranath tagore, section 377, soren, vishwa bharati university, west bengal