‘Dodgy’ dossier partly to blame for failure of war against malariaSeptember 11th, 2008 - 11:28 am ICT by IANS
London, Sep 11 (IANS) A ‘dodgy’ intelligence dossier is being blamed for losing the war against malaria, because it had argued that methods to tackle the disease in temperate countries would also work in the tropics.Colin Sutherland, a senior lecturer at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, explained “previous efforts to eradicate malaria, if considered, only succeeded in countries where the plasmodium parasite was weak and its mosquito vector was vulnerable, particularly where populations were wealthy enough to afford the best tools available.
“The failure to eradicate malaria in tropical countries, where the parasite is now at its strongest, with the mosquitoes doing very well, is in part, due to the one-size-fits-all approach that could have been avoided if we had heeded the evidence from Africa over half a century ago.”
Sutherland cautioned against the obsession among the western media with the “scientific breakthrough”, a concept which consequently dominates popular notions of science.
It is the careful synthesis of incremental advances in knowledge, and the dissemination of that knowledge to key decision-makers, health ministries and governments that will help us win the war against malaria, he said.
The session at the BA Festival of Science in Liverpool Wednesday looked at ways of best achieving this.
- Dodgy dossier'' partly to blame for losing war against malaria in the tropics - Sep 11, 2008
- Insecticide spray highly effective against malaria - Oct 13, 2011
- A bug that nips malaria in the bud - May 13, 2011
- Re-engineering mosquito's immunity to block malaria - Dec 29, 2011
- Ranbaxy launches 'indigenous' malaria drug - Apr 25, 2012
- Gene-based controls 'could stop mosquitoes spreading malaria' - Apr 21, 2011
- New drug starves malaria parasite to death - Dec 08, 2011
- Dispersing fungal spores over water kills malaria mosquito larvae - Feb 21, 2011
- Boffins create malaria-proof mosquito - Jul 16, 2010
- Arizona Scientists Create 'Malaria-Proof' Mosquito - Jul 19, 2010
- Can GM mosquitoes wipe out dengue? - Oct 24, 2010
- Scientists identify new species of human malaria - Apr 20, 2010
- Protein group prime candidate for potent malaria vaccine - Jan 19, 2010
- New class of compounds to combat malaria - Nov 20, 2011
- Malaria-proof mosquitoes developed by American scientists - Jul 19, 2010