Documents destroyed in West Bengal secretariat fire (Lead)August 7th, 2008 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 7 (IANS) There was a blaze in the first floor of the West Bengal government secretariat - Writer’s Building - Thursday morning. And Minister of Fire Services has blamed the works department for the inferno in which a large number of documents were destroyed. “The fire broke out at the municipal affairs, refugee rehabilitation and fire brigade departments in the E-block of Writer’s Building’s first floor at around 6.30 a.m.” a fire department official said.
Officials said the cause of the blaze was yet to be ascertained. But they suspected a short circuit.
At least 12 fire tenders were used to bring the blaze under control.
Officials said important documents were destroyed in the fire
Public Works Department (PWD) is responsible for the fire, said Pratim Chatterjee, the minister.
“I have been repeatedly asking the PWD to take necessary precautions. But they never took things seriously. Thursday’s fire is an outcome of their negligence,” Chatterjee told reporters.
“We will soon form a high level committee with senior officials from the forensic department as well to arrange for preventives so that these accidents are not repeated in future,” the minister said.
“I took an initiative to put a ban on using stoves in the corridors of Writers. But even today some people use them behind our back. There are electrical wires and old furniture dumped together at places - it can catch fire anytime.”
- Two killed, 16 injured in Mantralaya fire (Intro Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- 16 injured in Mantralaya fire, blaze under control (Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 21, 2012
- Mantralaya to be functional in three months, says Bhujbal (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Mantralaya fire continues second day - Jun 22, 2012
- Chavan reviews situation after Mantralaya blaze - Jun 21, 2012
- UP orders digitization of government records - Jul 04, 2012
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
- Mantralaya blaze: Chavan says fire controlled, orders probe (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Presidency fire causes major damage (Second Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- RTI activist alleges sabotage in Mantralaya fire - Jun 22, 2012
- Mantralaya to be functional in three months, says Bhujbal - Jun 23, 2012
- Fire in West Bengal secretariat destroys documents - Aug 07, 2008
- Karachi factory had several emergency exits, all locked - Sep 13, 2012
- Fire in Presidency University causes extensive damage (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010