Doctors willing, PM to go to London for G20 summitMarch 9th, 2009 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 9 (IANS) If his doctors give him the go-ahead, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is recuperating from a coronary bypass surgery, will go to London to attend the G20 summit in London April 2.
This will be the prime minister’s first overseas visit this year and the first after his bypass surgery nearly six weeks ago.
An advance team of security and external affairs ministry officials has already left for London to make arrangements for the prime minister’s visit, official sources said.
“The trip will depend on the doctor’s clean chit to the prime minister. Health permitting, he will be going for the G20 summit,” sources in the prime minister’s office said.
If Manmohan Singh makes it to the G20 summit, convened to address issues relating to the global financial crisis, this will be his first meeting with US President Barack Obama.
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who hosts the summit, is keen that Manmohan Singh, a well-known economist and a former finance minister, attend the summit, the sources said.
Obama and Manmohan Singh are among world leaders invited to the summit that aims at working out “a global deal” in which each emerging economy will contribute its bit in stemming the global economic downturn.
Ahead of the G-20 Summit, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia will lead a delegation to a preparatory meet on March 11 in London. RBI Governor D. Subbarao and Economic Affairs Secretary Ashok Chawla will also be part of Ahluwalia’s team.
- India can help in Eurozone crisis: Montek - Nov 03, 2011
- Hope G20 can help end global economic crisis: PM - Jun 18, 2012
- PM reaches Cannes for G-20 Summit - Nov 02, 2011
- Manmohan leaves Saturday for key summits in Mexico, Brazil (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- 'India more vulnerable, World in deep trouble' (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- PM leaves for Mexico, Brazil - Jun 16, 2012
- Manmohan heads for Seoul with new package for G20 - Nov 09, 2010
- Manmohan Singh heads for Cannes Wednesday for G20 Summit - Nov 01, 2011
- India steps up ASEAN diplomacy, Singapore PM on way - Jul 09, 2012
- Manmohan Singh likely to attend G-20 Summit - Mar 10, 2009
- PM to press for resolute action to buck eurozone crisis - Jun 16, 2012
- Manmohan Singh leaves Wednesday for G20 Summit in Seoul - Nov 07, 2010
- Indian PM leaves for home - Jun 23, 2012
- PM returns home from Brazil, Mexico trip - Jun 24, 2012
- Packed schedule awaits Manmohan Singh at G20 - Nov 10, 2010