Doctors’ strike cripples Chhattisgarh hospitalMarch 19th, 2008 - 8:43 pm ICT by admin
Raipur, March 19 (IANS) Medical services remained crippled Wednesday for the second consecutive day at Chhattisgarh’s biggest government hospital after doctors refused to attend even emergency services to demand higher salaries. About 200 doctors and teachers of the Bhimrao Ambedkar Medical College and Hospital that treats about 850 patients daily, mostly of poor families, went on an indefinite strike Tuesday after talks with the government failed.
The Medical Teachers Association said it was forced to halt medical services because the government had offered to pay more than triple their salary to new recruitments at a medical college coming up at Jagdalpur in Bastar district.
Besides a salary hike, the doctors are seeking residential facilities and regular employment to doctors appointed on contract.
The government has appealed to the doctors to call off their strike in the larger interests of patients.
The Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital shot to fame last year when a team of doctors successfully detached conjoined male twins who were attached at the stomach and shared a liver.
- Strike hits Chhattisgarh's biggest hospital - Dec 11, 2009
- Raipur hospital doctors announce indefinite strike - Mar 17, 2008
- Chhattisgarh teacher on hunger strike, alleges police harassment - Oct 12, 2011
- Patients relieved as doctors call off strike in Chhattisgarh - Mar 24, 2008
- Apex court decision on Soni Sori's medical check Thursday - Oct 19, 2011
- Eleven lose sight after surgery at government camp - Oct 13, 2011
- 45 blinded: Congress seeks Rs.2 mn for each victim - Oct 18, 2011
- 13 more blinded after cataract surgery - Oct 16, 2011
- Doctors' strike continues in Bihar - Feb 01, 2011
- Bihar junior doctors' strike claims over two dozen lives - Feb 02, 2011
- Doctors' strike in Chhattisgarh hospital continues - Mar 22, 2008
- Andhra not to pay striking Telangana employees - Sep 22, 2011
- Eight die as emergency services crippled in Andhra hospitals - Feb 11, 2012
- Bihari youth's death: Kerala doctors threaten strike - Aug 27, 2012
- Murder at health camp, say blinded patients - Oct 17, 2011