Doctor arrested for assaulting woman, relativesApril 4th, 2008 - 8:06 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 4 (IANS) A 56-year-old doctor has been arrested for allegedly beating up a woman and her relatives when they vandalised his hospital for its refusing to hand over the body of a boy without autopsy, the police said Friday. According to the police, a group of 15-20 people ransacked the privately-run Shakuntalam Hospital and manhandled its director Janakraj Dhami Wednesday for refusing to hand over the body of a five-year-old boy, Suraj who was killed in an accident, without a post-mortem examination.
Suraj was admitted to the Shakuntalam Hospital, in Dabri area of southwest Delhi, Tuesday after a speeding motorbike knocked him down in Janakpuri area. The boy died Wednesday. His parents asked the doctors for his body to conduct the last rites. But the doctors refused to do so without a post-mortem examination, which is a legal requirement in cases of accidents.
A heated argument ensued between the parents and the hospital authorities, which took an ugly turn. The relatives smashed furniture of the hospital and tried to manhandle Dhami and other hospital staff.
The police said Dhami pulled out a stick and beat up a woman and a few of her relatives when they allegedly vandalised the hospital.
A case was registered against him under sections of 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) and 509 (outraging the modesty of women) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and he was arrested. The police said.
“Dhami has been released on bail and the matter is under investigation,” said a senior police official.
The boy’s body has been handed over to the family after the post-mortem examination.
- Manipur legislator killed in Delhi accident - Aug 19, 2011
- Two people found dead - Dec 03, 2011
- Two minors killed in road accidents - Mar 11, 2011
- Charred body found at Delhi nursery - Apr 18, 2012
- Delhi woman pushed by brothers from first floor, dies - Mar 30, 2012
- Afghan doctor found dead in Delhi - Jun 22, 2011
- Air ambulance crash: all 10 bodies recovered - May 26, 2011
- 14 killed in Uttar Pradesh road accident - Jul 20, 2012
- Blast victims' kin protest at hospital - Sep 08, 2011
- Delhi university student commits suicide - Apr 28, 2012
- 500 body parts kept by British cops even after probe - May 21, 2012
- Agonising wait for kin at hospital - May 23, 2010
- Five-year-old found dead in Delhi park - Aug 29, 2010
- Custodial death victim died of internal injuries: Autopsy - Feb 22, 2012
- Man run over by DTC bus - Jul 28, 2012