Doctor amputates trucker’s penis without his consentAugust 23rd, 2011 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 23 (IANS) A US doctor is being sued for amputating a truck driver’s penis without his permission, a media report said Tuesday.
The doctor has defended his actions claiming he saved the man’s life.
John Patterson, who performed the surgery in 2007, said that during the operation on Phillip Seaton, 64, he discovered a rare and deadly cancer.
“What I saw was not a penis. What I saw was cancer,” Patterson told the court in Shelby County, Kentucky.
He said he removed less than an inch of Seaton’s penis. The rest of the penis was amputated by another doctor later, said the doctor’s lawyer, Clay Robinson.
However, Seaton was appalled at the doctor’s decision to amputate without consulting him, or giving him the opportunity to seek a second opinion.
His wife Deborah is also a plaintiff in the suit, which seeks unspecified damages for “loss of service, love and affection”, the Mail said.
In earlier testimony, Seaton described the moments after being told part of his penis had been removed.
“I pulled the dressing down, and I didn’t see nothing,” said Seaton. “Then I came out of the restroom and I said, “I’m getting the hell out of this damn hospital.”
Patterson testified that the cancer prevented him from inserting a catheter into Seaton’s urethra, and he was concerned about the possibility of kidney damage from urinary retention.
Although his wife was in the hospital waiting room, the doctor said he did not consult her because she had not accompanied her husband to office visits or into the pre-operation area, which he thought was unusual, according to the newspaper.
Seaton testified that if the doctor had consulted her after finding the cancer, she would have advised him to halt the surgery and wake up her husband.
“It’s his body,” Mail quoted her as saying. “He should have a say in it.”
Seaton’s lawyer, Kevin George, said the document had been read to Seaton because he cannot read. The jury of eight-women and six-men was shown graphic images.
George presented four photographs of Seaton’s groin saying, “You can see there’s nothing there.” He told jurors that Seaton “doesn’t feel like a man anymore”.
Robinson offered up a photograph of the cancerous tip of a penis - not Seaton’s.
“The spark is gone out of his life. He used to be such a happy person,” Seaton’s brother David Seaton said.
- Textiles Minister Dayanidhi Maran undergoes surgery - Jan 20, 2010
- Arunima stable, responding to treatment - Apr 20, 2011
- Arunima recovering, mother thanks AIIMS - Apr 21, 2011
- Laser technology treats man with enlarged prostate - Jun 15, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor does not know her leg has been amputated - Jan 17, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor back home after amputation - Jan 23, 2011
- Mom cuts son's penis because she wanted a girl - Jan 17, 2012
- Mormon church leader accused of attacking another person - Aug 10, 2012
- Zsa Zsa Gabor may have leg amputated - Jan 03, 2011
- AIIMS approaches police against Arunima's relative - Apr 23, 2011
- Visitors keep coming to see Arunima in hospital - Apr 21, 2011
- Man sues surgeons after willy amputation instead of circumcision! - Sep 26, 2008
- Dr Death traces found in dead skier Jonathan Myles Robinson's blood - Mar 24, 2011
- Dancer's leg amputated because of doctors' delay - May 16, 2012
- Oz burglar sent pics of his penis from stolen mobile phones - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: clay robinson, damages, deadly cancer, hospital waiting room, inserting a catheter, john patterson, kidney damage, lawyer, love and affection, mail, penis, plaintiff, restroom, seaton, second opinion, shelby county kentucky, trucker, urethra, urinary retention, wife deborah