Do not fast repeatedly, Digvijay advises AnnaJune 15th, 2011 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, June 15 (IANS) Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh Wednesday asked Gandhian activist Anna Hazare not to fast repeatedly over the issue of corruption due to his age.
Wishing Hazare on his 74th birthday, the former two-time Madhya Pradesh chief minister said: “I wish him on his birthday, but would say that his age does not allow him to sit on fasts.”
“But if they want it anyway, younger people like Arvind Kejriwal or Prashant Bhushan should fast,” he told reporters here.
“If he (Hazare) does fast, it would be like Nattha of ‘Peepli Live’,” Digvijay Singh said, referring to the Bollywood film on farmer suicides.
Yoga guru Baba Ramdev was next in his line of fire.
“Ramdev’s yoga is not even the right way of yoga… if you ask yoga experts, most of them would disagree with his style of yoga,” he said.
He also mocked Ramdev’s act of escaping the post-midnight police raid on Ramlila ground in Delhi June 4.
“Like Ramdev, the maulana of Lal Masjid in Pakistan used to speak on corruption frequently, but when Prevez Musharraf held an operation there, he too escaped wearing women’s clothes.
“All of them are fundamentalist people. They speak a lot, but when it comes to facing consequences, they escape,” he said.
- Split wide open; government, Team Hazare plan own versions (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2011
- Ramdev to meet president - Aug 17, 2011
- Ramdev determined to fast; PM, Sonia mull ways to dissuade him (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2011
- Hazare's detention unconstitutional: Ramdev - Aug 16, 2011
- Digvijay warns Anna against another fast - Jun 22, 2011
- Hazare puts conditions for Ramdev to join fast - Jun 27, 2011
- Police 'no' to fast, says Team Hazare, to protest (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Ramdev firm on fast; PM, Sonia favour more talks (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2011
- Rift mars Anna-Ramdev joint fast against corruption (Third Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Work in full swing at Ramlila Ground (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- As Anna fasts, Ramdev faces government heat (Roundup) - Jun 08, 2011
- Democracy was murdered at Ramlila ground: Prashant Bhushan - Jun 08, 2011
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev backs Hazare against allegations - Aug 14, 2011
- Ramdev's fast a 'five-star satyagraha', says Digvijay Singh (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: activist, arvind kejriwal, bhopal, bhushan, bollywood film, chief minister, clothes, congress, consequences, corruption, digvijay singh, fasts, general secretary, lal masjid, line of fire, pakistan, police raid, prashant, suicides, yoga guru