DMK says talk on withdrawing ministers speculativeJune 10th, 2011 - 3:18 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 10 (IANS) The DMK Friday dismissed as speculation media reports that it planned to quit the central government.
DMK leader and former cabinet minister T.R. Baalu said the meeting scheduled Friday evening would discuss last month’s elections that led to the ouster of the DMK government in Tamil Nadu.
“This is the first time a meeting of the DMK’s high level body has been convened after the election results,” Baalu told IANS.
Asked about media reports that DMK would yank its ministers out of the central government and offer outside legislative support, Baalu said: “The media can speculate anything.”
The DMK’s 18 Lok Sabha members offer crucial support to the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government in New Delhi. The DMK has seven ministers in the Manmohan Singh government.
The meeting at the party headquarters will be chaired by DMK president M. Karunanidhi.
This is the second time the party leadership is meeting in just two months.
They met April 27 after DMK MP and Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi was chargesheeted by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) as co-conspirator in the 2G spectrum scam.
- DMK to take legal action to establish truth in 2G scam (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Will take legal action to establish truth in 2G case: DMK (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- DMK to take legal action in 2G spectrum case - Apr 27, 2011
- Karunanidhi reaches Tihar Jail to meet Kanimozhi (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- DMK leadership to meet Wednesday to chalk out strategy - Apr 26, 2011
- Karunanidhi in Delhi, to meet Kanimozhi in jail - May 23, 2011
- Ties with Congress smooth: Karunanidhi - Jun 10, 2011
- DMK calls high-level meeting Friday - Jun 09, 2011
- Karunanidhi to meet Kanimozhi, Sonia - Oct 21, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Kanimozhi, Raja, Sharad Kumar in Tihar (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Testing times ahead for DMK, say analysts - May 20, 2011
- DMK ministers to resign from Union Cabinet tomorrow - Mar 06, 2011
- DMK snaps alliance with Congress, quits UPA government (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- DMK silent on Kanimozhi arrest - May 20, 2011
- Karunanidhi to visit daughter in Tihar jail Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011