D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead)June 5th, 2012 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 5 (IANS) Vice Admiral D.K. Joshi, a highly-decorated anti-submarine warfare specialist, will be the new Indian Navy chief in the rank of admiral, an official announcement said here Tuesday. He will take over from incumbent Admiral Nirmal Verma, who will retire Aug 31.
Joshi (58) is currently the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Western Naval Command, the Indian Navy’s sword arm.
Born July 4, 1954, Joshi was commissioned into the executive branch of the Indian Navy April 1, 1974.
During his long and distinguished service spanning nearly four decades, Joshi has served in different command, staff and instructional appointments.
His sea command includes guided missile corvette INS Kuthar, guided missile destroyer INS Ranvir and the aircraft carrier INS Viraat.
Prior to taking over his present assignment, Joshi served as the navy’s deputy chief, Commander-in-Chief of the Andaman and Nicobar Command and Chief of the Integrated Defence Staff.
A graduate of the prestigious US Naval War College and an alumnus of Mumbi’s College of Naval Warfare, and New Delhi’s National Defence College, Joshi also served as defence advisor in the Indian High Commission in Singapore 1996-99.
Joshi has been awarded the Param Vishist Seva Medal, the Ati Vishist Seva medal, Yudh Seva Medal, Nau Sena Medal and the Vishist Seva Medal.
Joshi is married to Chitra and the couple has two daughters.
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Vice Admiral Sinha takes over as IDS chief - Jul 04, 2011
- D.K. Joshi is new navy chief - Jun 05, 2012
- Navy, Army vice chiefs to get highest service medal - Jan 25, 2011
- Vice Admiral D.K. Joshi takes over as CISC - Dec 31, 2010
- Vice Admiral Nirmal Verma takes over as new Navy Chief - Aug 31, 2009
- Rear Admiral Shrikhande is IDS assistant chief (With Image) - Aug 23, 2012
- Vice Admiral Thapliyal is Indian Navy chief of personnel - Jan 27, 2012
- Navy orders inquiry into Rear Admiral Jamwal's death - Jul 07, 2010
- Vice Admiral Bhasin heads Western Naval Command - Apr 30, 2009
- Vice Admiral Joshi to head navy's sword arm - Apr 16, 2011
- Vice Admiral Verma to be next Navy Chief - Jun 06, 2009
- Nirmal Verma named Indian Navy chief - Jun 06, 2009
- Navy chief takes over as tri-services panel head - Jul 29, 2011
- Antony witnesses Indian Navy's battle readiness exercise - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: andaman and nicobar, chief commander, command staff, defence staff, flag officer, guided missile destroyer, high commission in singapore, indian high commission, indian high commission in singapore, indian navy, joshi, missile corvette, national defence college, naval command, naval war college, naval warfare, sword arm, us naval war college, vice admiral, warfare specialist