DJP asked to pay Rs.3.5 lakh to kin of drowned kidsFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday awarded a compensation of Rs.3.5 lakh each to the families of four children who died last year after falling into a pit dug up by the Delhi Jal Board (DJB).The division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna said the DJB failed to fence the area around the pit, which resulted in the tragedy.
The DJB has already paid a compensation of Rs.1 lakh each to the families of the victims.
While hearing a petition seeking a compensation of Rs.12 lakh each for the victims’ families, the court directed the DJB to pay Rs.2.5 lakh each - the remaining amount of the total compensation - within four weeks.
The money would be deposited with the court’s registrar in the form of fixed deposits for three years, the court said.
The court granted liberty to the DJB to recover the money from the contractors who were responsible for not fencing the area around the pit.
The four boys drowned after falling into a seven-foot-deep pit filled with water in Timarpur area of north Delhi in December 2010. They were identified as Vikas, 8, Atul, 7, Ritesh, 9, and Narender, 8. The four were residents of Gopalpur village.
Appearing for the DJB, standing counsel Najmi Waziri informed the court that a police complaint against unknown people was registered in the case.
- Probe launched into Delhi drowning deaths - Mar 06, 2010
- Compensation for families of boys who drowned (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2010
- Four children drown in pit in Delhi - Mar 06, 2010
- Timarpur residents protest over drowned children's deaths - Mar 06, 2010
- Probe launched into Delhi drowning deaths (Lead) - Mar 06, 2010
- Rs.10 lakh for Sep 7 blast victims: Court - Sep 21, 2011
- Delhi plans upgrade of facilities in 400 schools - Jan 19, 2011
- Court asks government for relief to blast victims (Lead) - Sep 14, 2011
- Kin of man who died due to hospitals' laxity get relief - Jan 13, 2011
- Set up committee to prevent waterlogging, says high court - Aug 28, 2012
- Court tells MCD to compensate families of drowned kids - Feb 04, 2010
- No rollback of court fee hike, Delhi tells court - Aug 28, 2012
- Apex court wants just relief to road accident victims (Lead) - Dec 08, 2011
- Mangalore air crash: Rs.75 lakh for each victim's kin (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Air India to pay Rs.75 lakh to kin of Mangalore crash (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: chief justice, delhi high court, dipak, division bench, feb 2, fence, fencing, fixed deposits, jal, lakh, misra, narender, New Delhi, north delhi, petition, police complaint, ritesh, rs 1, sanjiv, vikas