Djokovic says Federer remains the man to beatSeptember 8th, 2008 - 1:32 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 8 (DPA) Novak Djokovic now has another reason not to doubt the recovery powers of Roger Federer after collapsing to a four-set loss against the Swiss to exit the US Open.The pair, who played last year’s final, got in their semi-final before torrential rain swept the grounds at Flushing Meadows, throwing the weekend schedule into panic mode.
Djokovic stands a modest 2-7 against the Swiss world No. 2, one of his wins coming in this year’s Australian Open semis with Federer suffering the effects of glandular fever.
“He’s been very dominant in the last four years, he’s been the best player in the world,” said Djokovic, making the obvious point. “This year you have to give credit to (Paris, Wimbledon and Olympic champion Rafael) Nadal, because he’s playing the best season, best year so far, and he’s been winning so many matches.”
But Djokovic, who could have surpassed Federer to take over the No. 2 ranking had he gone on to win the tournaments, added: “Roger is still there.
“And even though people are talking about him not playing so well this year, he’s still very consistent. All Grand Slams he was in semis, finals.
“He played well against me even though throughout this tournament he had some difficulties. But that’s his strength. Whenever he needs to play well, he plays his best.”
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Indian Wells: Federer thrashes Nadal, Isner shocks Djokovic - Mar 18, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal to meet Federer in semis - Mar 17, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Djokovic shatters dream final with knockout of Federer - Sep 12, 2010
- US Open: Somdev takes on Murray, Sania plays Peer - Aug 26, 2011
- Djokovic reaches Wimbledon final, claims No.1 ranking - Jul 02, 2011
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Oz Open: Federer is still blowing hot and cold - Jan 24, 2011
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP final - Nov 24, 2011