Djokovic, Messi favourites at Laureus awardsFebruary 2nd, 2012 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 2 (IANS) World No.1 tennis player Novak Djokovic of Serbia and Argentina’s football star Lionel Messi are the front runners for the the Laureus World Sports Awards here Feb 6.
Among the six nominees for World Sportsman of the Year, Djokovic is tipped as one of the favourites. The Serb won the Australian, Wimbledon and US Open Grand Slams and had a winning record of 70-6 in 2011.
His closest contender is being seen as Messi. If Messi wins, he will be the first footballer to take home the award, Xinhua reported.
However, tennis players seem to be favoured by Laureus, as 16-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer was crowned four times. The Jamaican runner Usain Bolt, who holds both World and Olympics records is also in contention for his third Laureus award.
The 2012 Laureus World Sports Awards ceremony will be staged in the heart of London at Central Hall, Westminster. Many great names of sports are expected to attend the ceremony.
- Djokovic, Cheruiyot, Barcelona win Laureus Awards - Feb 07, 2012
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Nadal, Messi nominated for Laureus Sportsman of the Year award - Jan 11, 2011
- Djokovic unveils wax figure of himself in Serbia - Feb 10, 2012
- Djokovic dreams big in Olympic year - Apr 19, 2012
- Djokovic, new king of tennis in 2011 - Dec 21, 2011
- Djokovic to play charity match in Rio - Jun 05, 2012
- Rio to host Laureus World Sports Awards - Sep 09, 2012
- Bessi and Ibarguen voted best in Latin America-Caribbean - Dec 23, 2011
- Djokovic withdraws from China Open - Sep 29, 2011
- US Open: Murray wins Grand Slam title at last (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Murray first Brit to win Grand Slam singles title (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Djokovic predicts Nadal to be world's best ever tennis star - Sep 15, 2010
- Bhupathi hopes to meet Bolt in his 'dream' fifth Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: awards ceremony, favoured, football star, footballer, front runners, grand slam winner, grand slams, laureus award, laureus awards, laureus world sports, laureus world sports awards, lionel messi, london feb, novak djokovic, roger federer, serb, sportsman of the year, tennis player, tennis players, xinhua