‘Divine footprints’ on pond attract hundreds of devoteesDecember 1st, 2011 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 1 (IANS) “Human footprints” on the surface of a pond adjoining a temple in West Bengal’s Howrah district Thursday saw hundreds thronging to see what they believed to be “footprints” of Goddess Shitala, a Hindu deity.
But scientists pooh-poohed the claim.
As news spread that two human footprints have surfaced over a pond beside a temple of “Maa Shitala” in Bally, people made a beeline to catch a glimpse.
People claimed they were the footprints of the goddess and jostled among themselves to pay obeisance to the ‘divine foot prints’.
“I know it is of Maa Shitala. She has come to bless us. Only a goddess can walk over water,” said one of the devotees.
Eminent nuclear scientist and a former director of the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics Bikash Sinha, dismissing the claim, said: “It is really ironical to know that people can be so superstitious in this age. There is nothing divine in the foot prints. The moment a scientific analysis is done it will be clear how it has been formed.”
“It is unfortunate that people are thronging to see the phenomenon and claiming it to be divine. People who are educated too believe in such hocus-pocus. It is indeed very sad,” P.N. Ghosh, the vice chancellor of Jadavpore University, said.
- 'Hocus Pocus' sequel on cards? - Jul 08, 2012
- Navratri begins with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Why India must become more aware of product designs (June 29 is World Industrial Design Day) - Jun 28, 2012
- Fervour and gaiety mark first day of Navratri - Apr 04, 2011
- Karnataka's Bunts community dips child in cold water as ritual - Dec 19, 2010
- Hocus Pocus Inspired Halloween - Oct 25, 2009
- Diamond contact lenses for goddess - devotees see red! (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- Caller claims to be Buddhadeb, threatens voters - Apr 18, 2011
- Caller claiming to be Buddhadeb threatens voters (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Gaga's choreographer denies extreme dieting reports - Sep 18, 2010
- Lady Gaga's choreographer slams eating disorder reports - Sep 18, 2010
- A temple with history, legends and treasures - Jul 10, 2011
- 'Buddhadeb' threatens voters, complaint lodged (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Amar Singh appeases gods in Himachal - Jul 28, 2011
- Thousands hit the roads as Durga Puja begins in Bengal - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: bally, beeline, devotees, foot prints, glimpse, goddess, hindu deity, howrah district, human footprints, jostled, nuclear scientist, obeisance, phenomenon, saha institute of nuclear physics, scientists, vice chancellor, west bengal