Distcom urges consumers to switch off on Earth HourMarch 28th, 2012 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) Power distribution firm BSES Wednesday urged consumers in Delhi to switch off lights during the Earth Hour March 31 to help conserve power.
“BSES appeals to its customers to unequivocally support the event and voluntarily switch off their non-essential electric appliances on Saturday, March 31 for an hour staring 8.30 pm,” a BSES official said.
The distcom will be sending SMSes and mailers to nearly 8 lakh customers other than reaching out to resident welfare associations (RWA) in the national capital and engaging BSES employees in the initiative.
“It takes around 5,000 tonnes of coal to generate 1 MW of power, so with every megawatt saved Delhiites will be doing their bit to save the environment,” the official said.
Delhiites enjoy the highest per capita 1,651-unit power consumption and Delhi is looking at close to 5,400 MW peak load during the summer of 2012, according to the official.
An initiative by World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the hour-long mass campaign saw Delhiites save around 300 MW power in 2011.
Over a billion people in over 5,500 cities across the globe, will participate in the largest voluntary action for environment by switching off all electrical appliances and lighting fixtures.
- Power firm urges Delhi residents to observe Earth Hour - Mar 24, 2011
- Earth hour 2012: Set to go dark for an hour? - Mar 31, 2012
- Earth Hour a phenomenon in cyber space - Mar 24, 2011
- BSES joins hands with WWF to observe Earth Hour - Mar 25, 2010
- India observes Earth Hour but partially (Roundup) - Mar 27, 2011
- UN to observe Earth Hour - Mar 31, 2012
- Taj group to take steps beyond Earth hour - Mar 25, 2011
- Bangladesh to observe Earth Hour - Mar 29, 2012
- Delhiites to switch off lights to save power Friday - Jul 31, 2009
- B-town celebs urge people to support Earth Hour - Mar 31, 2012
- Delhi switches off lights for Earth Hour - Mar 28, 2010
- Delhi's BSES launches save power campaign - May 24, 2011
- Over 4,000 cities to turn off lights during Earth Hour - Mar 25, 2011
- Delhiites to switch off lights during Earth Hour Saturday - Mar 26, 2010
- Lights out! Earth Hour back in Delhi (Lead) - Mar 10, 2010
Tags: bses, distribution firm, doing their bit, electric appliances, electrical appliances, lakh, lighting fixtures, mailers, megawatt, mw, New Delhi, peak load, per capita, power consumption, power distribution, smses, tonnes, voluntary action, world wildlife fund, world wildlife fund wwf