Disgruntled Miandad quits as director general of Pakistan boardJanuary 28th, 2009 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Jan 28 (IANS) Javed Miandad has decided to quit as Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) director general after a disagreement with the board chairman Ijaz Butt over his role. Miandad told IANS Wednesday that he had a meeting with Butt in Lahore in which he refused to accept the revised job description.
According to the former Pakistan captain, the new job description had curtailed the directior general’s (DG) role to looking after domestic cricket and development of grounds.
When Miandad was appointed as DG almost two months back, Butt had issued a circular among the senior board officials in which he stated that Miandad would be the number two on the PCB chain of command.
“I’ve decided against continuing as director general because the new job description is completely different from what was decided earlier,” said a disgruntled Miandad. “I only joined the PCB because I wanted to play a role in the promotion of cricket but I can’t do that in the present circumstances,” he added.
Miandad was working for the PCB for the last couple of months without even deciding his salary and other perks.
During his meeting with Butt, Miandad was offered a salary of Rs.500,000 and other perks. The package was also below Miandad’s expectations as the legendary batsman was already making more than a million rupees through media-related assignments before joining the board.
However, Miandad said that it wasn’t the salary that irked him. “I was asked to take up a job that is more suited for a manager than a director general,” he said.
Miandad was sidelined just a few weeks after he took up the assignment. Senior board officials did not even consult him over important issues like the central contracts for the players or the appointment of captain.
Earlier this week, Miandad vocally opposed the idea of sacking Shoaib Malik as Pakistan captain after the series defeat against Sri Lanka. But the board decided to dump Malik and instead appointed senior batsman Younis Khan as the new captain.
- Miandad blasts PCB for shabby treatment of former cricketers - Sep 26, 2011
- PCB in talks with two foreigners for Pak batting coach job: Butt - Apr 15, 2011
- "Priceless" Miandad denies being paid one million salary by PCB - Jan 24, 2010
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- PCB must look beyond Miandad for Pak batting coach: Waqar - Apr 14, 2011
- Foreign coach may be appointed in absence of Miandad: Afridi - Apr 11, 2011
- Miandad threatens to quit PCB - Feb 02, 2010
- PCB paid Miandad 8.4 million rupees for seven days of work: Butt - Feb 07, 2010
- Miandad hits back at PCB, says it is his duty to put Pak cricket on right track - Jul 10, 2010
- Miandad claims he has been reinstated as PCB Director General - Mar 30, 2009
- Miandad can replace Intikhab as Pakistan coach - Nov 14, 2009
- Miandad suggests way to reform trouble-stricken PCB to Zardari - Sep 16, 2010
- "No 'definite decision' on role as Pak team batting consultant": Miandad - Dec 06, 2010
- Javed always had problems with his role, says Akram - Jan 28, 2009
- Miandad turns down Pakistan batting coach offer - Apr 10, 2011