Disaster control teams deployed in flood-hit BiharAugust 19th, 2011 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 19 (IANS) Five teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been deployed in five flood-hit districts of Bihar for rescue and relief operations, officials said Friday.
The teams have been placed in Supaul, Saharsa, Madhepura, Khagaria and Gopalganj districts.
The move came in the wake of major rivers like Ganges, Kosi and Mahananda flowing above the danger mark at several places due to heavy rains in the state and catchment areas of Nepal for the last few days, an official said.
Hundreds of villages in Bhagalpur, Munger, Gopalganj, Muzaffarpur, Saharsa, Madhepura and Bagaha districts face threats due to the increased water levels.
“Water has already entered dozens of villages. Rising water level in Kosi river is giving sleepless nights to people,” an official of the water resources department told IANS.
He said the water levels of rivers have been rising to dangerous levels at several places. “It is a dangerous sign.” Reports suggests that hundreds of people have been asked to shift to safer areas by the authorities.
The state government has asked engineers and district officials to keep a 24-hour vigil.
According to the Central Water Commission, the water level in Ganges crossed the red mark at several places in Bhagalpur, Patna, Begusarai and Farakka. Similarly, the Kosi was flowing above the danger mark at Bausa, Baltara and Kursela, and Mahananda at Dhengraghat and Jhada.
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Flood situation remains grim in UP, Bihar - Aug 22, 2009
- Flood victim injured in police firing in Bihar - Aug 25, 2011
- Flood alert in nine districts in Bihar - Sep 11, 2011
- Bihar cop fires on protesting flood victims, suspended - Aug 26, 2011
- People flee homes as floodwater enters Bihar villages - Jul 14, 2010
- Fear of floods haunts Bihar - Jul 13, 2010
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: begusarai, catchment areas, central water, danger mark, dangerous levels, dangerous sign, disaster control, disaster response, district officials, face threats, ganges, kosi, muzaffarpur, national disaster, ndrf, relief operations, response force, rising water, water commission, water resources department