Disabled people plan hunger strike in Delhi for rights lawJune 8th, 2010 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) A group of disabled people will begin an indefinite hunger strike from Wednesday outside the Shastri Bhawan, which houses many central government ministries, to protest their poor representation on a committee drafting a new law protecting their rights.
Following pressure from various disabled groups, the social justice and empowerment ministry in April ormed a committee to draft new legislation, reflecting the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, to replace the Disability Act, 1995.
The first meeting of the committee will be held June 10.
“The government has overlooked the basic tenet of the convention and the bedrock of the disability rights movement - ‘Nothing about us, Without us’. The 27-member committee appointed by the government has only three people with disabilities,” said Javed Abidi, convener of Disabled Rights Group.
A group of disabled people also met Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Mukul Wasnik May 26, demanding an increase in the number of disabled people in the committee, he said.
“We will sit on indefinite hunger strike till our demands are accepted,” Abidi added.
- Specially abled persons protest against delay of new Disability Law - Jan 01, 2011
- Delhi's disabled community to hold candlelight vigil Friday - Dec 30, 2010
- Deaf get representation in panel on disability act - Jun 09, 2010
- Final draft of new disability law submitted - Jul 01, 2011
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging - Jul 16, 2012
- New law on anvil for welfare of disabled - Aug 26, 2010
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- We need a new disability law, says rights group - Oct 28, 2009
- New law on disability soon, says Mukul Wasnik - Jan 14, 2011
- Rights group to protest non-implementation of 11th plan - May 26, 2011
- Indian activist attending UN disabled rights meet - Apr 11, 2011
- Disabled demand change in mindsets, policy (Dec 3 is World Disability Day) - Dec 02, 2010
- 'Welfare funds not fully used in northeast' - May 30, 2012
- Disabled rights group protests lag on schemes - May 27, 2011
- Disabled to march in Delhi for their rights - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: bedrock, central government ministries, convener, convention on the rights of persons with disabilities, disability act 1995, disability rights movement, disabled people, first meeting, indefinite hunger strike, member committee, mukul, New Delhi, new legislation, ormed, people with disabilities, persons with disabilities, poor representation, shastri bhawan, social justice, tenet