Dikshit, Mukhi to raise voter I-card flaws with poll panelSeptember 10th, 2008 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 10 (IANS) Discrepancies in voters’ identity cards have at last forced both Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit of the Congress and Leader of Opposition Jagdish Mukhi of the Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) to come together and approach the Election Commission.Both leaders are worried about electoral roll problems as the assembly elections are round the corner.
Mukhi raised the issue in the state legislative assembly, which started its monsoon session Wednesday.
“I told the house that at least 6.5 million voters’ identity cards have discrepancies. The Election Commission does not have photographs of at least 3.5 million people and nearly 500,000 I-cards have wrong details,” Mukhi told the media persons.
“Another 2.5 million people’s photographs are available with the commission but they are not printed,” Mukhi said.
He said even his own I-card had discrepancies.
Dikshit agreed that the problem was indeed serious and offered to accompany Mukhi to the Election Commission office.
“I will go with Sheila Dikshit to whichever office she asks me to. No one can stop those who are living in the capital for years from voting in the upcoming elections. If the discrepancies remain, it would be challenged in the court,” Mukhi told IANS.
Congress and BJP leaders have already visited the poll panel separately.
- MCD poll fever peaks on last day of campaign - Apr 13, 2012
- Don't know the candidate, voting for Sheila (Sidelights) - Apr 15, 2012
- Congress seeks apology from Vijay Goel - Aug 22, 2012
- Civic elections: Delhi poll panel hopes for high turnout - Apr 09, 2012
- Election Commission is winner in Punjab polls (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 04, 2012
- BJP legislators removed from Delhi house, leaders walk out - Mar 24, 2011
- Civic polls: Did trifurcation move boomerang? - Apr 17, 2012
- MCD campaign: BJP banks on stars, Congress on ministers - Apr 07, 2012
- Dikshit assures safe Games - Aug 23, 2010
- 'Photo voters card should be produced for voting' - Mar 28, 2011
- Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five states - Sep 04, 2012
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Congress delaying SGPC polls: Akali Dal - Apr 22, 2011
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- MCD elections: Sheila attacks BJP - Mar 12, 2012