Diesel shortage affects ChennaiAugust 21st, 2008 - 11:24 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 21 (IANS) The city was hit by diesel shortage Thursday after local fuel stations as well as those in neighbouring Kanchipuram and Tiruvallur districts shut shop due to lack of supplies. Truck owners complained they were not able to transport essential food items to the city due to fuel shortage.
Transporters associations and foodstuff producers complained of daily revenue losses over Rs.250 million all over the state.
State Chief Secretary L.K. Tripathy said late Thursday evening that diesel supplies were adequate despite increased demand.
“Our talks with fuel companies revealed that intake during the last few days has increased by over 35 percent following demands from the IT sector, which run generators to combat the electricity shortage. We have been assured of enough diesel supplies and the situation is bound to improve,” Tripathy said.
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts(Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts - May 28, 2012
- Tamil Nadu hit by diesel shortage (Lead) - Aug 26, 2008
- IITan trio streamline transportation business - Mar 29, 2012
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Road blockade hits life in Manipur - Sep 19, 2011
- Diesel cars guzzling 40 percent of segment's fuel: CSE - Jan 25, 2012
- Fuel shortage to ease in Chennai, says Jayalalithaa - May 29, 2012
- Century on, end of a bullock cart saga in Mumbai (With Images) - Feb 08, 2012
- Tamil Nadu asks petroleum dealers to function as usual - Aug 26, 2008
- Protests hit life in Manipur - Aug 21, 2011
- Jayalalithaa orders Rs.150 crore for cyclone relief - Dec 30, 2011
- Shutdown evokes mixed response in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Parties demand President's Rule in blockade-hit Manipur - Oct 14, 2011