Dhumal steps in to end St Bede’s strikeJuly 17th, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 17 (IANS) With the strike by the faculty of St. Bede’s, the country’s oldest all-women college here, continuing for over a week, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Tuesday intervened to end the impasse.
Dhumal directed the state’s education secretary and education director to convene a meeting of the college management and the striking employees to resolve the crisis on priority, an official statement said.
Dhumal said it was the responsibility of the college management to protect the interests of its employees and pay them all benefits due to them from time to time.
The stalemate continued for the ninth day Tuesday as the teaching and non-teaching staff abstained from work.
The striking teachers and administrative staff said they would resume duty only when the management fulfilled responsibility of paying 23 percent dearness allowance and restoring employees’ provident fund (EPF).
The college authorities reduced employees EPF to 12 percent from 23 percent from June.
This is unprecedented in the 108-year-old history of the college that all the staff have struck work.
St. Bede’s, which has been imparting education since 1904 and boasts of alumni such as actress Preity Zinta and late model Persis Khambatta, has 850 students, including 100 boarders.
- Strike in India's oldest women's college - Jul 13, 2012
- CAG raps India's oldest women's college - Apr 15, 2011
- Leopard strays into Shimla's St. Bede's college - Jun 05, 2010
- Preity Zinta to be brand ambassador of Himachal tourism - Nov 30, 2010
- 'Punjab colleges staff go without salaries for months' - May 15, 2012
- India's oldest women's college facing closure - Sep 24, 2008
- Punjab, Chandigarh colleges to remain shut Wednesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Himachal students protest cut in government grants - Nov 06, 2008
- Punjab, Chandigarh college teachers on strike again - Dec 13, 2011
- Strike paralyses teaching in Punjab, Chandigarh colleges - Nov 30, 2011
- 12.5 percent interim pay for Karnataka employees - Nov 01, 2011
- Gujarat ITI staff entitled to bonus, rules high court - Jan 17, 2011
- Court orders probe into financial lapses in Ramjas College - Mar 23, 2011
- Big B admires Preity's guts, drive - Jun 20, 2012
- Central government school's staff don black bands as protest - Nov 03, 2009
Tags: administrative staff, boarders, chief minister, college authorities, college management, education director, education secretary, employees provident fund, impasse, july 17, late model, ninth day, preity zinta, s education, st bede, stalemate, striking employees, striking teachers, teaching staff, women college