Dhoni hopes Yuvraj gets a hat-trick of centuriesNovember 19th, 2008 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Kanpur, Nov 19 (IANS) India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni hopes in-form Yuvraj Singh gets a third consecutive century in the third One-Day International against England here Thursday. “I hope he (Yuvraj) scores his third consecutive century here and that would suit the team as well,” Dhoni told reporters after a practice session at the Green Park Stadium here Wednesday.
Yuvraj has been in rampaging form with an unbeaten 138 in Rajkot and 118 in Indore, where he also picked up four wickets.
“Yuvraj, when on song, is simply one of the best, even the top bowlers struggle against him. As a captain, I have noticed that all big players who slog down the order are left-handers, probably because the bowlers have sorted out the right-handers. They can bowl yorker or low fulltoss to a right-hander, but struggle to find the right line for the left-handers,” Dhoni said.
The India captain also said that as Yuvraj was making a come-back he motivated the left-handed batsman to play his natural game.
“I told him see the ball and hit it. At times when a player goes through a bad patch, you have to keep him motivated. But all the players in the team are very talented and you cannot really change their basics. All you can do is to motivate them,” he said.
Zaheer Khan, Harbhajan Singh and Virender Sehwag skipped the practice session and Dhoni said that since it was an optional session the players decided to take some rest. But Ishant Sharma, who was rested for the first two matches, has been declared fit and is expected to play.
“In the Test series against Australia, he (Ishant) bowled long spells and was tired. But even then, bowling his third spell of the day, he gave it his best and bowled his heart out, putting in the same amount of effort. You have to take care of kids like him,” Dhoni said.
“He is just 19 or 20, you have to make sure that he does not sustain injuries and remains in the right frame of mind.”
Rudra Pratap Singh, who has been unimpressive so far, is expected to make way for Ishant.
“Look, he (Rudra Pratap) has not played for a while and its always difficult to make a comeback. It is at times like this that you need to completely back him. He has been one of the best bowlers against England and even though he is looking bit rusty, the team will back him and we hope he comes back strong,” Dhoni said.
- Bell's century takes England to 296/2 (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Strauss and Pietersen steady England innings (Lunch report) - Jul 29, 2011
- India pin England down to 124/8 (Tea report) - Jul 29, 2011
- Selectors drop Yuvraj, call-up Rohit for third Test - Nov 17, 2011
- Bell, Pietersen punish ragged India (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Zaheer is world's best medium pacer: Kirsten - Apr 05, 2011
- Trott survives to score half-century, England 127/2 (Tea report) - Jul 21, 2011
- Working with seniors will be a learning experience: Fletcher - Jun 17, 2011
- Ishant thanks Zaheer for his fantastic spell - Apr 28, 2011
- Lord's Test: England got away lightly losing only one wicket (Lunch report) - Jul 21, 2011
- Yuvraj has now become a genuine all-rounder - Apr 02, 2011
- Kapil wants Sachin to retire immediately - Feb 20, 2012
- Lord's Test: Trott survives dropped chances to guide England to 127/2 (Roundup) - Jul 22, 2011
- Munaf propels India to thrilling one-run victory against South Africa (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Edwards hits defiant debut century but India retain control - Jul 10, 2011