Dhaula Kuan gangrape: Another suspect’s sketch released (Lead)November 30th, 2010 - 11:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS) Days after releasing sketches of two suspects in last week’s gangrape of a BPO staffer by four men, Delhi Police Tuesday released the sketch of the third suspect.
Earlier in the day, the police also claimed to have “more or less” identified the vehicle used by the rapists.
The police released two sketches Nov 26 and 27.
A 30-year-old BPO staffer from Mizoram was abducted by four men and gangraped in a moving goods carrier Wednesday last week.
She was abducted soon after being dropped along with another girl, 100 metres from her home, by her office cab in Dhaula Kuan area in south Delhi late night.
The men then drove all the way to Mongolpuri in north Delhi and dumped her there.
Investigators have detained four persons and have claimed to make some headway in the case.
“We are still questioning the four men who were detained today. We have impounded a truck which could possibly be involved in the crime. But we are not sure,” a police officer said Tuesday.
The detained persons were “very relevant” to the case, he added.
Police said investigations are going on in full swing with 15 special teams formed to investigate the case, several suspects being questioned and the statements of three witnesses being recorded.
According to police, CCTV footages have also been looked into minutely, and even the mobile phone records of suspects residing in Mongolpuri area have been checked.
Delhi Police is to meet Wednesday a representative of the Northeast Support Centre and Helpline to draw up a plan for making the city safer for women from the region.
The support centre’s spokesperson Madhu Chandra said: “A team of Delhi Police officials will come to meet me tomorrow (Wednesday) to discuss how the city can be made safer for the northeastern community, especially the women.”
According to a member of the helpline, a number of incidents of sexual assault on women from the northeast have taken place in the past six months.
“On May 26th, a 20-year-old woman from Manipur was beaten up by a man in Munirka after she resisted sexual assault by him. On August 29th, a Manipuri woman was molested by the manager of a restobar in Connaught Place. On October 22nd, a 21-year-old Jamia Millia Islamia student from Arunachal Pradesh was molested by group of school students inside their south Delhi school. On October 25th, a 19-year-old Naga woman was murdered by an IIT Ph.D scholar in Munirka,” she said.
- Northeastern students' rally to protest BPO staffer's rape - Nov 28, 2010
- Two nabbed in BPO employee rape case: Delhi Police - Dec 02, 2010
- BPO employee rape: Rs.1 lakh reward for information on accused - Dec 01, 2010
- Police obtain more clues in BPO employee's gangrape - Nov 30, 2010
- Delhi Police to meet northeast forum to discuss safety of women - Nov 30, 2010
- Northeast students complain to PM, hold rally (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Northeast delegation meets Dikshit over women's safety - Dec 03, 2010
- Two held, one surrenders in Delhi's BPO rape case (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Northeast students demand speedy justice in BPO staffer's rape - Nov 29, 2010
- Police release sketch of one assailant in BPO employee's rape - Nov 26, 2010
- Northeast delegation meets home ministry official - Dec 10, 2010
- Police asked to be vigilant about women's safety - Nov 30, 2010
- Four people detained in Dhaula Kuan gangrape - Nov 29, 2010
- Northeast MPs to meet Dikshit over gangrape - Dec 07, 2010
- Act now, make capital safe for northeast women: Activists - Nov 25, 2010