Dharun Ravi called roommate’s suicide ‘crazy’March 6th, 2012 - 11:24 am ICT by IANS
New York, March 6 (IANS) Indian American student Dharun Ravi touted in text messages that “people are having a viewing party” to watch the webcam footage of his roommate being intimate with another man, according to court testimony.
Testifying Monday at Ravi’s trial in a New Brunswick, New Jersey, one of his high school friends, Michelle Huang, read out a Twitter message from Sep 19, 2010, in which Ravi wrote that he went into a mutual friend’s room, “turned on my webcam” and saw his roommate “making out with a dude.”
Two days later, Ravi sent another message telling his Twitter followers-of which Huang was one-”I dare you to videochat me between the hours of 9:30 and 12. Yes, it’s happening again.”
Ravi, a former New Jersey State Rutgers University student, is charged with spying on his gay roommate, Tyler Clementi, who days later took his own life by leaping from the George Washington Bridge.
Ravi said that he was “creeped out” by the Sep 19 romantic encounter between Clementi and another man, which he suggested he witnessed-via his hidden camera-with several others, Huang testified.
“Keep the gays away,” he wrote, according to a text message that was shown on a screen in the courtroom.
Ravi’s lawyer, Stephen Altman, meanwhile, introduced a message sent the next day in which his client told Huang that his roommate had committed suicide and described it as “crazy.”
“I guess he was quiet because he was depressed,” wrote the defendant.
When she brought up the “viewing party” that he’d written about it earlier, Ravi wrote back: “No that was a joke.”
- Mystery man testifies in Dharun Ravi's trial - Mar 03, 2012
- Dharun Ravi sent messages to roommate on night of suicide - Mar 08, 2012
- Dharun Ravi wasn't anti-gay, pals say - Mar 10, 2012
- Indian American student was not homophobic: Defence - Mar 01, 2012
- Dharun Ravi seeks webcam spy case dismissal - May 02, 2012
- Indian American student was 'uncomfortable' with gay roommate - Mar 02, 2012
- Lawyer wants charges dropped against Indian-American student - Aug 12, 2011
- Indicted Indian-American student's act a 'stupid teenage prank' - Feb 25, 2012
- Dharun Ravi's roommate monitored his Twitter account - Mar 07, 2012
- Jury deliberates in Indian student spying case in US - Mar 15, 2012
- Witness testified against Indian-American to escape charges: Defence - Feb 29, 2012
- Before going to jail, Dharun Ravi apologises - May 30, 2012
- US court sentences student Dharun Ravi to 30 days jail - May 21, 2012
- Dharun Ravi is just a kid: Defence lawyer - Mar 14, 2012
- 30-day jail for Indian student Dharun Ravi; no deportation (Lead) - May 22, 2012
Tags: clementi, court testimony, courtroom, defendant, followers, gay roommate, gays, george washington, george washington bridge, hidden camera, high school friends, joke, lawyer, mutual friend, new brunswick new jersey, romantic encounter, rutgers university, stephen altman, text message, text messages