Dhaka sending serving officers to 1971 victory celebrations in IndiaDecember 15th, 2008 - 1:06 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Dec 15 (IANS) Bangladesh has for the first time sent three serving army officers, on an invitation from India, to participate in the Victory Day celebrations in Kolkata to mark the surrender of Pakistani forces in 1971.Tuesday is Bangladesh’s “Bijoy Diwas”, the victory of the joint India-Bangladesh forces, before whom 93,000 officers and men of the Pakistan Army surrendered.
The delegation comprising three serving officers along with their spouses and 14 freedom fighters has been invited to attend the four-day programme in Kolkata.
Maj. Gen. Muhammed Maswood and Maj. Gen. (retd) Jamiluddin Ahsan of the Bangladesh Army are leading the team, the New Age newspaper reported.
In addition to laying wreaths at the war memorial Vijay Smarak by Maswood and Ahsan, the Bangladeshi delegation will attend various functions in Kolkata.
Indian veterans of the 1971 war as well as various civilian and military dignitaries will also attend the annual celebrations.
The decision to send serving officers for the first time comes nine months after Dhaka received on its Independence Day in March a team of Indian war heroes led by Lt. Gen. (retd) J.F.R. Jacob, who had planned the entire campaign in 1971.
- Indian, Bangladeshi war heroes celebrate victory day - Dec 16, 2011
- 25 Bangladeshi's to attend 40th anniversary celebrations of '71 war - Dec 07, 2011
- Bangladesh thanks India for supporting 'just' war - Dec 16, 2011
- Indian Army recalls 1971 victory - Dec 16, 2011
- `Liberty Square' mooted in Dhaka - Jul 08, 2010
- Has Bangladesh's creation benefited India strategically? - Dec 14, 2011
- Bangladesh pays tribute to martyrs on Victory Day - Dec 16, 2011
- Bangladesh to honour 129 foreigners for 1971 - Mar 22, 2012
- Indian Army chief to visit Bangladesh June 19-23 - Jun 16, 2011
- India remembers war heroes on 40th anniversary of 1971 war - Dec 16, 2011
- Indian Army chief to gift old Howitzer guns to Bangladesh (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Dhaka Islamists drag India in blame game over 1971 war crimes - Dec 15, 2010
- Army in Kashmir pays tribute to martyrs on Vijay Diwas - Dec 16, 2011
- India thanks Bangladesh for honouring 1971 heroes - Apr 04, 2012
- Army chief to embark on five-day Bangladesh visit - Jun 18, 2011