Dhaka - a city with 400,000 rickshaws!September 6th, 2011 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Sep 6 (IANS) They weave in and out of the traffic, as much a part of the streetscape as the people and the vehicles. With 400,000 rickshaws plying its busy streets, it’s no wonder that some describe Dhaka as the rickshaw capital of the world.
Cycle rickshaws and autorickshaws are the main mode of transport in the Bangladesh capital, playing host to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his delegation for two days.
About 400,000 rickshaws are on the crowded streets daily - the largest number for any city in the world. However, only about 80,000 rickshaws are licensed, say police.
Comparatively low-cost and non-polluting, cycle rickshaws cause traffic congestion and have been banned from many parts of the city.
Any visitor to Dhaka, which has a population of over 12 million, is struck by the large number of rickshaws.
- 30-year-old auto rickshaws banned in Pakistani city - Jul 22, 2012
- Supreme Court pulls up 'anti-poor' Govt., refutes to rein in Delhi's cycle rickshaws - Aug 06, 2010
- Auto-rickshaws older than 10 years banned in Ranchi - May 15, 2012
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- Delhi mulls congestion tax - Nov 04, 2010
- Will Kolkata remain city of joy for its rickshaw pullers? - Jul 06, 2011
- 400,000 polluting cars to go off Beijing roads - Apr 20, 2011
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Autorickshaw users expect smooth ride after court order - Nov 12, 2011
- Cycle rickshaws need of the hour, ban arbitrary: Court - Feb 10, 2010
- Harrowing time for Delhi as shutdown hits traffic (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Tongas to go off Delhi's roads for good - Nov 19, 2009
- Guwahati's landscape to change with satellite towns, BRT systems - Jun 16, 2010
- Tongawalas mourn the death of a legacy - May 10, 2010
- Court dismisses petitions against GPS systems for Delhi autos - Sep 17, 2012
Tags: bangladesh capital, cause traffic, delegation, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, manmohan, manmohan singh, population, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rickshaw, rickshaws, streetscape, traffic congestion