DGCA team begins probe into Goa airport’s freak mishapNovember 17th, 2008 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 17 (IANS) A team from the Director General of Civil Aviation’s (DGCA) has begun probing Sunday’s freak mishap at Goa airport when two chartered flights brushed against each other. One of the aircraft was carrying 356 passengers on board.”It’s a two-member team. They are recording statements of flight technicians, engineers and other concerned personnel. The report will be dispatched to the DGCA headquarters in New Delhi,” a senior official at the Airport Authority of India (AAI) told reporters here Monday afternoon.
A wing of the Airbus-330 belonging to the Iberia Spanish Airline had scratched the fuselage of a Russian Trans-Aero Boeing Sunday afternoon at the Dabolim airport. The fuselage was damaged to the extent that it was not possible for the aircraft to take off.
putting the lives of nearly 356 passengers on board at risk.
The mishap put the lives of 356 passengers on board the Trans-Aero flight at risk, and also threw air traffic at the airport out of gear. Several flights were forced to be rescheduled.
“The passengers on board the Russian aircraft were checked into local hotels and their departure has been rescheduled for Monday evening,” airport officials said. The Iberia Spanish airline flight carried no passengers.
“Sundays pose a worry during the tourist season because of the rush. Our parking bays are congested as a result. We have written to the authorities to give us some more land,” a senior AAI official told IANS.
Hundreds of chartered flights from Germany, Russia and Britain use the paramilitary airport facility at Dabolim every year from October to March, Goa’s tourist season.
This year alone nearly 700 chartered and scheduled flights are expected to land in Goa.
- Two planes miss collision at Goa airport, probe ordered (Lead) - Nov 17, 2008
- Two planes escape collision narrowly at Goa airport - Nov 16, 2008
- Kingfisher flight makes emergency landing at Goa airport - Oct 24, 2011
- Close shave for 250 as bird hits plane in Goa - Nov 11, 2010
- Dutch flight to Colombo suffers bird hit in Goa - Oct 27, 2011
- Dabolim airport will not be shut for civilians: Parrikar - Jul 19, 2012
- Nietzsche quote on terror alarm pamphlet - Dec 07, 2011
- Flights diverted, repairs on at Goa runway (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Russian airline Transaero orders four A380s - Oct 29, 2011
- Goa airport runway cut down for five hours a day - Apr 12, 2011
- Indigo coach hits Jet aircraft in freak accident - Oct 05, 2010
- Front tyres of Air India plane burst, no casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Repairs restrict use of Goa airport runway (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Southwest Airlines grounds dozens of planes after in-flight fuselage rupture - Apr 02, 2011
- Three flights diverted from Goa due to runway repairs - Oct 27, 2010