Dey murder: Cops question man in jailJune 16th, 2011 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 16 (IANS) Mumbai police Thursday questioned an alleged kingpin of oil mafia, Mohammed Ali Abu Shaikh, currently lodged in the Arthur Road Central Jail, as part of the ongoing probe in the killing of journalist Jyotirmoy Dey, official sources said here.
Investigators from the criminal investigation department queried Shaikh after getting permission from the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court.
Shaikh, 48, is in judicial custody in connection with the murder of rival Sayyed Chand Madar.
The outcome of Shaikh’s interrogation and details of the ongoing probe in Dey’s murder were kept under wraps and no official was willing to go on record on these issues.
Shaikh and four others were nabbed from Mumbai and two others were arrested from Mughalsarai in Uttar Pradesh for the killing of Madar in September 2010.
Both Shaikh and Madar were allegedly involved in smuggling marine diesel from the high seas and illegal scrap sales in the Mumbai docks area.
Besides Shaikh, police have grilled more than 50 people, including gangsters and police informers, in their attempts to unravel the mystery behind Dey’s killing.
Over half a dozen senior editors from all over India are likely to meet Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan here Saturday, an official of Mumbai Press Club said.
The meeting will be followed by representations to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram.
In a related development, the BOmbay High Court directed police to submit a status report on the murder’s investigation next Tuesday (June 21). The court clubbed and admitted three petitions seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation probe into Dey’s killing.
Dey was gunned down by four motorcycle borne assailants near his home in Mumbai’s northeastern suburb Powai June 11, sending shockwaves through media circles across the country.
- Chavan rules out CBI probe, media threaten stir on scribe killing - Jun 13, 2011
- Journalist's murder: Police gets more time for probe report - Jun 21, 2011
- Dey killing: Woman scribe remanded in police custody - Nov 25, 2011
- Stringent MCOCA slapped on eight for journalist's murder - Jul 08, 2011
- Sketch of Dey's suspected killer released - Jun 14, 2011
- Dey murder accused remanded to police custody (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Scribe's murder: Lawyer moves high court for CBI probe - Jun 15, 2011
- Six months on, 12 charge sheeted for Dey's murder - Dec 03, 2011
- Dey murder: Reporter to remain in police custody (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Woman scribe arrested for Dey killing (Night Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- Rs.1 mn reward for police for solving J. Dey murder - Jun 27, 2011
- Mumbai police get cracking in journalist murder case - Jun 14, 2011
- Dey murder: Vora's custody extended - Jan 03, 2012
- Journalists fast for CBI probe into Dey murder (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Dey murder: reporter to remain in police custody - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: arthur road, bombay high court, central bureau of investigation, central jail, chavan, crime act, criminal investigation department, judicial custody, manmohan singh, marine diesel, mohammed ali, mumbai police, northeastern suburb, p chidambaram, police informers, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, question man, scrap sales, union home minister