Devotees throng Shiva temples, celebrate ‘Shravan’July 16th, 2011 - 1:24 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 16 (IANS) Devotees thronged at Lord Shiva temples in Uttar Pradesh Saturday for offering prayers on the onset of the Hindu month of `Shravan’ that heralds the coming of the monsoon.
Amidst chants of `Bam Bam Bhole’ and `Har Har Mahadev’, devotees were seen awaiting their turn to offer milk, water, honey and leaves of wood apple to Lord Shiva, to whom is dedicated the month of monsoon or Sawan, as ‘Shravan’ is called colloquially.
“It is believed that Shiva showers his special blessings on those who remember him with an honest heart,” Devya Giri, priest of Mankameshwar temple, told reporters here.
Besides Mankameshwar temple, other Shiva temples that witnessed a huge turnout included Buddeshwar, Kalyangiri, Siddhnath and Koneshwar.
In Varanasi, a festive mood was all-pervasive in temples, particularly in the ancient Vishwanath temple, where the ritual `Rudrabhishek’ and prayers were performed.
Over 35,000 people, including `Kanwarias’ (Shiva devotees) are expected to arrive at the Vishwanath temple by noon, an official said.
Kanwarias, the orange-robed devotees of Lord Shiva, collect holy water of the Ganga river in Haridwar in pots and walk back to their home during Shravan.
Meanwhile, in Allahabad, a large number of devotees took the holy dip in the Sangam - the confluence of the Ganga, the Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati rivers.
- Kanwaria electrocuted to death in Ghaziabad - Aug 03, 2010
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- On Kartik Purnima, thousands take holy dip - Nov 10, 2011
- Hundreds of devotees gather to offer prayers at Ayodhya temple - Jul 20, 2009
- Muslim vendors sell auspicious apparel for Hindu devotees in Varanasi - Jul 22, 2010
- Annual monsoon festival at Gaya's Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrims - Aug 13, 2010
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Kanwarias clash with police - Jul 23, 2011
- Fasting, prayers mark Mahashivratri in Delhi - Mar 02, 2011
- Six kanwarias killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Aug 06, 2010
- Thousands of pilgrims visit Mahadev Temple in Maharashtra - Aug 10, 2009
- Delhi comes alive with 'kanwariyas' - Aug 07, 2010
- Shiva devotees make a beeline for special Monday prayers - Aug 08, 2010
- River Ganges turns turbulent with rains in Varanasi; rituals disrupted - Aug 02, 2010
- Kanwarias throng Haridwar for annual monsoon festival - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: bam bam bhole, chants, confluence, devotees, festive mood, ganga river, har, haridwar, holy dip, holy water, honest heart, lord shiva, mahadev, milk water, monsoon, sangam, sawan, vishwanath temple, wood apple, yamuna