Devotees throng Orissa temples on ShivratriMarch 2nd, 2011 - 2:53 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 2 (IANS) Devotees observed fast and thronged temples of Hindu god Shiva across Orissa Wednesday on the occasion of Shivratri.
More than a lakh devotees have already visited the 11th century Lingaraj temple here since the wee hours, assistant commissioner of police Pranadhan Mohapatra told IANS.
A long queue of about a kilometre was formed in front of the temple by around 11 a.m. as devotees thronged to have a glance of the deity, he said. Security was tightened at the temple as many more people are likely to visit by evening, he added.
More than 50,000 devotees, including women, visited the Akhandalamani temple at Aradi in Bhadrak district, officials said.
Similarly, a large number of devotees were seen at the Loknath temple in Puri, about 56 km from here, in Huma in the western district of Sambalpur and Vedvyas in Sundergarh district.
According to the Hindu calendar, Shivratri is celebrated a day or two before the new moon in the month of Phalgun (February-March). Hindu mythology says Shiva, one of the holy trinity along with Vishnu and Brahma, married Parvati on this day.
Devotees keep daylong fasts and offer prayers at Shiva temples. Hymns in praise of Shiva are chanted throughout the night. Many unmarried girls also fast and pray on this occasion in the belief that it helps them get good husbands.
- One lakh devotees at Odisha's Lingaraj temple - Feb 20, 2012
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Mahashivaratri celebrated across India - Feb 20, 2012
- Thousands throng Lingaraj temple on Mahashivratri - Feb 12, 2010
- Delhi celebrates Maha Shivaratri with offerings, fasts and prayers - Feb 20, 2012
- Fasting, prayers mark Mahashivratri in Delhi - Mar 02, 2011
- Nepal celebrates Mahashivaratri festival - Feb 20, 2012
- One lakh devotees worship god Shiva in Bangalore - Feb 20, 2012
- Hindus celebrate Maha Shivratri - Mar 02, 2011
- Devotees celebrate Maha Shivaratri in Deogarh - Feb 13, 2010
- Delhi celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers - Feb 12, 2010
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- Lamp with five kg ghee burns for India's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Janmashtami celebrations in Lucknow - Aug 22, 2011
- Shiva devotees make a beeline for special Monday prayers - Aug 08, 2010
Tags: 11th century, aradi, assistant commissioner, bhubaneswar, commissioner of police, devotees, district officials, fasts, hindu calendar, hindu god shiva, hindu mythology, holy trinity, huma, mohapatra, new moon, orissa, parvati, sambalpur, unmarried girls, wee hours