Devotees begin last ‘darshan’ of Sai BabaApril 24th, 2011 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
Puttaparthi (Andhra Pradesh), April 24 (IANS) Thousands lined up at Prashanti Nilayam in this pilgrim town for a last ‘darshan’ of spiritual leader Sathya Sai Baba, who died Sunday.
The devotees, including top politicians, bureaucrats and celebrities began entering Baba’s ashram around 7 p.m. to pay their last respects.
With folded hands, the devotees, mainly VIPs, were seen passing by the body of Baba in Sai Kulwant Hall.
Though Baba’s face was covered when Andhra Pradesh Governor E.S.L. Narashiman and Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy paid their last respects at the hospital, it was not covered at Prashanti Nilayam.
The body was wrapped in saffron-coloured cloth.
The body was kept in glass casket with a huge portrait installed towards the head. Sathya Sai Central Trust members, close relatives and disciples of Baba and top officials were sitting around the casket while devotees were allowed to have a glimpse of the spiritual leader from a distance.
Thousands of common devotees from different parts of India, and even abroad, lined up outside Prashanti Nilayam, waiting for their turn to enter and have last darshan of the godman.
Police had to repeatedly use force to control the crowd. Some women said they were waiting for four to five hours without food and water.
- Sathya Sai Baba's last rites being performed in Puttaparthi - Apr 27, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba passes away, millions in grief (Intro Roundup) - Apr 25, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba's last rites begin - Apr 27, 2011
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi pay respects to Satya Sai Baba - Apr 26, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba laid to rest, thousands bid farewell (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Devotees flock Puttaparthi to pay last respects to Sathya Sai Baba - Apr 25, 2011
- PM, Sonia Gandhi to visit Puttaparthi tomorrow - Apr 25, 2011
- Sachin pays homage to Sathya Sai Baba - Apr 25, 2011
- Sai Baba's last rites Wednesday with state honours - Apr 24, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba's body to be kept for two days - Apr 24, 2011
- Thousands of devotees in Puttaparthi, massive security for - Apr 26, 2011
- Devotees bid tearful adieu to Sai Baba - Apr 27, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba passes away, leaving millions to grieve (Roundup) - Apr 24, 2011
- Thousands pay homage as Puttaparthi readies for Baba's last rites (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba's death a loss to humanity: Narendra Modi - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, april 24, ashram, baba, bureaucrats, central trust, chief minister, darshan, devotees, disciples, folded hands, glass casket, glimpse, kiran kumar, last respects, pilgrim, prashanti nilayam, saffron, spiritual leader, trust members