Devotee drowns in Golden Temple pondJune 22nd, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, June 22 (IANS) A Sikh devotee who had come to pray at the Golden Temple Sunday drowned in the sacred pond of the Sikh holy shrine here while taking a dip. The victim, Satnam Singh Randhawa from a village in Gurdaspur district in Punjab, was accompanied by his wife while visiting the shrine.
His wife later told shrine authorities and police that Randhawa was mentally disturbed. She said he slipped after stepping into the pond and drowned.
Seeing him drowning, other devotees and shrine volunteers pulled him out, but he could not be saved.
Golden Temple manager Harbhajan Singh said a number of volunteers were stationed around the pond at all times to help devotees in case of a problem or mishap.
The police started inquest proceedings into the incident.
- Two kids drown in holy pond in Punjab - Aug 02, 2010
- PM begins new year with prayers at Golden Temple (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- PM prays at Golden Temple, faces black flags (Third Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- PM begins New Year with prayers, showed black flags in Amritsar (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Devotees visit Amritsar's Golden Temple on Baisakhi - Apr 14, 2011
- PM offers prayers at Golden Temple on New Year - Jan 01, 2012
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- President offers prayers at Golden Temple - Oct 06, 2010
- Devotees visit Amritsar's Golden Temple on Baisakhi - Apr 13, 2010
- Guru Ram Dass 475th anniversary celebrated - Oct 09, 2009
- Birth anniversary of Guru Ram Dass being celebrated in Golden Temple - Oct 09, 2010
- 344th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh celebrated - Jan 05, 2010
- PM arrives in Amritsar; to pray at Golden Temple Sunday (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Sikhs mark 415th birth anniversary of Guru Hargobind Sahib at Golden Temple - Jul 05, 2010
- Obama to visit Golden Temple, college in Amritsar - Oct 15, 2010