Desire for litchis proves fatal for 12-year-oldMay 12th, 2009 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 12 (IANS) Fondness for litchis proved fatal for a 12-year-old boy in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur town Tuesday afternoon after two men drinking liquor under the tree he was trying to pluck the fruit from hit him with a big stone, police said Tuesday.
The boy, Vicky, was badly injured after the stone hit him in the groin and died on the way to the hospital.
“The boy was throwing a small stone at the litchis on the tree but the stone probably hit two men sitting under the tree and drinking, angering them so much that they hit the boy with a big stone, killing him,” a police official in Muzaffarpur, about 70 km from Patna, said.
Shahi litchi, a popular summer fruit largely grown in Muzaffarpur district, is set to hit markets across India in the third week of May. About 70 percent of the litchis produced in India are grown in Muzaffarpur and its neighbouring districts.
The victim’s family lodged a murder case at the local police station against the two men.
Police have detained the two and are interrogating them.
Last week, a 13-year-old boy was beaten to death for allegedly plucking mangoes from an orchard in the state’s Purnia district.
- Bihar's litchis are food for wine - Apr 19, 2010
- New Delhi politicos to feast on Bihar fruits - Jun 03, 2011
- Bihar to promote litchi liquor - Dec 05, 2009
- Boy killed in Bihar for plucking mangoes - May 25, 2012
- Shahi litchi to hit market soon - May 08, 2009
- The beer hug: Bihar emerging as brewery hub - Jan 16, 2012
- Bihar's Shahi Litchi to hit South Indian markets this month - May 10, 2010
- Fickle weather can take juice out of litchi this season - Apr 29, 2012
- United Breweries to make wine out of litchis in Bihar - Apr 30, 2010
- Proposed road endangers Uttar Pradesh mango belt - Sep 26, 2010
- Bihar to display Shahi lychees before foreign diplomats - May 22, 2009
- Mango madness: Bhopal fetes king of fruit - Jun 30, 2011
- Bihar to gift sweet fruits to Delhi VIPs - May 25, 2010
- World Bank to fund marketing of Bihar's Shahi litchis - Jun 05, 2010
- Bihar ministers, legislator donate salary for green cause - Sep 06, 2011