Deshmukh to lead delegation to PM over violence (Lead)November 6th, 2008 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
Nashik, Nov 6 (IANS) Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh plans to lead an all-party delegation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in a bid to correct the impression that Maharashtra is unsafe for non-Maharashtrians.Deshmukh told reporters here that he would soon talk to opposition leaders in this regard. He again denounced the attacks on non-Maharashtrians carried out by Raj Thackeray’s Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
Deshmukh’s planned trip to New Delhi follows a stern letter from the prime minister asking the chief minister to take urgent steps to check the incidents of violence.
On Railway Minister Lalu Prasad’s threat not to hold Railway Board examinations in Maharashtra, Deshmukh said such a decision cannot be taken on the basis of an isolated incident involving “misguided youth”.
Earlier, addressing a public meeting, the chief minister denounced the attacks on people from other states living in Maharashtra. Almost all the victims have been from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
Deshmukh said that outsiders should not be blamed for the scarcity of jobs in Maharashtra, one of India’s most industrialised states.
“Industrial unrest has led to the closing down of factories and loss of employment,” he said, urging people to be ready to work hard, rather than unleashing anger on others.
- Rahul Gandhi ill-informed: Raj Thackeray retorts to speech - Nov 14, 2011
- MNS to help Maharashtrian youths with railway exam - Feb 02, 2011
- MNS names candidates - with marks! - Jan 29, 2012
- Deshmukh's body reaches Latur, funeral in evening - Aug 15, 2012
- Nashik will have MNS mayor: Raj Thackeray - Feb 19, 2012
- Deshmukh's mortal remains consigned to flames (Second Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Hold Chhat Puja but don't politicise it, says Raj Thackeray (Lead) - Oct 31, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh Congress welcomes Thackeray's arrest - Oct 21, 2008
- MNS activists attack toll posts across Maharashtra - Jun 13, 2012
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Thackeray family needs 'Art of Living' course: Ravi Shankar - Feb 04, 2010
- Riteish-Genelia wed, as film and politics mingle (With Image) - Feb 03, 2012
- Raj Thackeray publicity-hungry: Nitish Kumar - Sep 02, 2012
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- UPA allies urge strong action in Maharashtra - Oct 29, 2008