Deshmukh invites Supreme Court censure (Lead)December 14th, 2010 - 3:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 14 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday pulled up former Maharashtra chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh for interfering in the enforcement of a law to regulate private money lending in the state.Deshmukh is currently union minister for heavy industries.
“The chief minister has no business to interfere in the functioning of the 1946 Act to regulate money lending in the state,” said Justice G.S. Singhvi in the judgment, concurring with Justice Asok Kumar Ganguly.
Speaking for the bench, Justice Ganguly dismissed the Maharashtra government’s appeal challenging the Bombay High Court order indicting Deshmukh and imposing a fine of Rs.25,000.
Dismissing the appeal, the apex court enhanced the cost to Rs.10 lakh.
Deshmukh invited the reprimand of the apex court for interfering with the police action on a complaint by farmers alleging family members of Congress MLA Dilip Kumar Sananda were involved in money lending.
Deshmukh’s private secretary Ambadas had asked the police not to register a FIR on the complaint of the farmers. This instruction of Ambadas was recorded in the police diary.
Subsequently, Deshmukh called the district collector and instructed him that he would personally look into the matter before any action was taken on the complaint against the family members of Sananda.
Deshmukh was indicted by the high court on both these counts. The apex court has slammed him for interfering in the enforcement of the state law for regulating private money lending.
- Sack Vilasrao Deshmukh, urge Vidarbha farmers - Dec 14, 2010
- Supreme Court rebukes Vilasrao Deshmukh - Dec 14, 2010
- SC slams Maharashtra Govt. for shielding MLA's money-lending father - Dec 14, 2010
- Vilasrao Deshmukh refutes opposition demand for resignation - Dec 16, 2010
- BJP seeks answer on Deshmukh's continuance in ministry - Feb 07, 2011
- Maharashtra opposition demands Deshmukh's resignation - Dec 16, 2010
- Sack Vilasrao Deshmukh, say agitating Vidarbha farmers - Feb 08, 2011
- Maharashtra challenges indictment for shielding loan shark - Apr 15, 2009
- Doctrine of separation of power must be respected: Congress - Feb 10, 2011
- Ghai land allotment row: BJP says Deshmukh must quit - Apr 05, 2012
- Don't politicise black money case: Apex court - Apr 08, 2011
- Apex court frowns on PM's silence over Raja - Nov 16, 2010
- New bench of apex court to hear 2G review plea - Mar 03, 2012
- Subramaniam adamant on quitting, PM asks him to wait (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Solicitor General Subramaniam meets president - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, asok kumar, bombay high court, censure, congress mla, dilip kumar, fir, heavy industries, lakh, maharashtra chief minister, maharashtra government, members of congress, money lending, police action, private money, private secretary, reprimand, sananda, union minister