Deshmukh asked to quit, successor choice ThursdayDecember 3rd, 2008 - 11:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh has been asked to step down following last week’s terrorist attack in Mumbai, Congress leader A.K. Antony said here Wedenesday.”Deshmukh has been asked to resign,” Antony, who is in charge of the party’s Maharashtra affairs, told reporters.
He was speaking after a meeting at party president Sonia Gandhi’s residence. Defence Minister Antony, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Gandhi’s political advisor Ahmed Patel attended the meeting.
“Party observers will go to Maharashtra tomorrow (Thursday) to decide on the next chief minister,” Antony said.
Deshmukh was under pressure to quit in the aftermath of the Nov 26 terrorist attack, especially after Shivraj Patil resigned as central home minister Sunday, followed by R.R. Patil who had to quit as the state’s deputy chief minister and home minister.
- Deshmukh asked to resign, successor choice Thursday (Lead) - Dec 04, 2008
- Chavan, ministers visit ailing Deshmukh - Aug 08, 2012
- Deshmukh''s successor to be decided today - Dec 04, 2008
- Decision on Deshmukh after consulting allies: Antony - Dec 01, 2008
- Chavan welcomes Kasab verdict (Lead) - May 06, 2010
- Maharashtra chief minister not quitting: Congress leader - Nov 30, 2008
- Congress asks Chavan to quit as Maharashtra chief minister (Second Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Mumbai violence: Raj Thackeray demands Patil's resignation - Aug 17, 2012
- Deshmukh's fate hangs in balance, R.R. Patil quits after terror attack (Roundup, combining different series) - Dec 01, 2008
- Hasan Ali case: Senior cop's sacking recommended - Mar 22, 2011
- AICC resolution says Deshmukh moved up from grassroots - Aug 15, 2012
- Maharashtra leaders condole Deshmukh's death (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Probe Indians' slush funds abroad, demands Jethmalani (Lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- Maharashtra CM Ashok Chavan likely to meet Pranab tonight - Oct 31, 2010
- Mumbai terror attack underscores India's vulnerability (Comment) - Jul 16, 2011