Desecration of Quran leads to tension in Uttar Pradesh townFebruary 26th, 2009 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 26 (IANS) Members of the Muslim community took to the streets and blocked traffic in Uttar Pradesh’s Rae Bareli district after a half-burnt and torn copy of the Quran was found, the police said Thursday.
The holy book was found torn and its pages burnt near the Chhoti Masjid in the Khwajkhan locality in Jaayas town Wednesday night, police added.
“We have registered a case against unidentified people, while another case has been filed against one person identified as Pappu Halwai,” district police chief Tarun Gaba told IANS on phone.
A company of Provincial Armed Constabulary along with district police have been deployed in the town after protesters took to the streets, added Gaba.
Protesters blocked roads, disrupting traffic in various parts of Jaayas, about 90 km from here. The police are yet to make any arrest in the case.
- Jumat-ul-Vida passes off peacefully in Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2012
- Sikhs on warpath in Pilibhit after holy book desecrated - Sep 16, 2011
- Shutdown near total in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Kashmir, Punjab flare up after rumours of Quran burning in US - Sep 13, 2010
- Protests over power cuts in Pakistan - Jul 29, 2012
- Cop burnt alive by mob in Rajasthan - Mar 18, 2011
- Abducted girl found killed, angry kin block national highway - May 07, 2011
- National highway blocked to protest lawyer's killing - Feb 16, 2011
- Bihar town erupts into protests over power shortage - Apr 23, 2011
- Cops, locals clash over alleged Quran desecration - Jul 06, 2011
- Bihar ruling party legislator accused in liquor trader's killing - May 27, 2012
- Hundreds detained as Congress takes on Mayawati government (Second Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Orissa lawmaker held for criminal activities - Feb 08, 2011
- More protests erupt in Kashmir, another youth killed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Clashes over desecration of Ambedkar statues - Jan 23, 2012