Derogatory to call animals ‘pets’, say academicsApril 28th, 2011 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 28 (IANS) Don’t call animals ‘pets’ as it is a derogatory term, say academics who suggest that owners should be called “human carers”.
Domestic dogs and cats should be called “companion animals”, the academics said.
Daily Telegraph reported that terms like wildlife too are insulting to animals and they should be known as “free-living”.
The Journal of Animal Ethics, edited by Andrew Linzey who is a theologian and director of the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics, in an editorial criticised the use of terms such as “critters” and “beasts”.
“Despite its prevalence, ‘pets’ is surely a derogatory term both of the animals concerned and their human carers,” said the editorial.
“Again the word ‘owners’, whilst technically correct in law, harks back to a previous age when animals were regarded as just that: property, machines or things to use without moral constraint.”
It invited “authors to use the words ‘free-living’, ‘free-ranging’ or ‘free-roaming’ rather than ‘wild animals’ … There is an obvious prejudgment here that should be avoided”.
Phrases like “sly as a fox”, “eat like a pig” or “drunk as a skunk” are all unfair to animals, it claimed.
- Call animals 'companions' not 'pets', demand academics - Apr 28, 2011
- 3 out of 4 cats have no qualms wearing a collar, despite owners' fears - Sep 09, 2010
- Cat Leash Law In Barre Ignites Divisions - Jun 18, 2010
- It pays to go veg - Aug 30, 2012
- Justin Bieber supports new PETA campaign - Dec 16, 2010
- Madonna an 'ex-wh***', says Russian deputy PM - Aug 09, 2012
- Pet Store Products Might Be Harmful For Pets - Jun 18, 2010
- China outraged as owner drops dog from 18th floor - Aug 10, 2012
- Chinese can now send off dead pets at disposal plants - Dec 20, 2011
- Study: Over half of American pets are fat - Feb 24, 2011
- Much of the clergy is gay, claims former Catholic theologian - Nov 22, 2010
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- Owners killing their pets to get insurance payout - Nov 14, 2011
- British family shares home with 80 animals - Nov 27, 2010
- 'Totally natural' human breast milk ice cream on sale in London - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: academics, andrew linzey, animal ethics, beasts, companion animals, constraint, critters, daily telegraph, derogatory term, dogs and cats, domestic dogs, drunk as a skunk, fox, oxford centre, pets, phrases, pig, prevalence, theologian, wild animals