Dera Sachh Khand sect was established 70 years agoMay 26th, 2009 - 12:29 am ICT by IANS
Jalandhar, May 25 (IANS) The violent unrest that has gripped Punjab after a leader of the Dera Sachh Khand was killed following a clash in a gurdwara in faraway Austria has brought the sect into limelight.
The sect headquarters is located at Ballan near Jalandhar, 150 km from Chandigarh.
It is in the Doaba belt (the area between rivers Sutlej and Beas) where the sect has the maximum number of followers comprising Dalit Sikhs and people from other communities. Since followers of the sect are mainly from the lower castes, they have been subjugated by the dominant Jat-Sikh community of Punjab.
The sect was established by Sant Pipal Dass over 70 years back in village Ballan.
The basic purpose of the sect is to propagate the teachings and principles of 14th century social preacher, Guru Ravidass, across the world. Followers of the sect are spread in Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and in various countries of Europe and also the United States.
The sect is known for involvement in social causes.
Presently Sant Niranjan Dass, 68, is the fifth head of the sect. He was also injured in the clash in Vienna Sunday.
- Social neglect leading to growing influence of sects: Experts - May 29, 2009
- State funeral for sect leader as thousands attend in Punjab (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- Thousands pour in for sect leader's cremation in Punjab - Jun 04, 2009
- Controversial 'deras' add fuel to Punjab fire - May 26, 2009
- Punjab burns as sect leader dies in Vienna (Second Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Akal Takht asks SGPC to send team to probe Vienna shooting - Aug 12, 2009
- Fresh violence in Punjab after sect leader dies in Vienna (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Curfew in Hoshiarpur - May 25, 2009
- One killed as Punjab burns over Vienna gurdwara clash (Third Lead) - May 25, 2009
- In Vienna, followers pay last respects to Rama Nand - Jun 02, 2009
- Dal Khalsa urges apex Sikh body to probe Vienna shoot-out - Aug 11, 2009
- Punjab situation under control, says Badal - May 25, 2009
- Punjab assembly by-poll postponed to June 12 - May 26, 2009
- Dalits in Canada call Vienna killing 'act of terrorism' - May 26, 2009
- Himachal stops plying its buses in violence-hit Punjab - May 25, 2009