Depression set to become killer disease worldwideFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 3 (IANS) ‘Major’ depression is a severe and widespread psychiatric disorder which is on way to becoming a killer disease worldwide.However, despite extensive investigations, the exact mechanisms that lead to major depression or MD have not been identified.
A series of studies highlight some of the current advances in biological psychiatry, neuroscience and neuroendocrinology which are shedding light on the connection between stress and depression.
The collection (11 research papers) “Stress-Induced Depression and Comorbidities: From Bench to Bedside”, represents the output of a group of international research institutions, who collaborated around the causal link between stress exposure and depression vulnerability.
“The papers for the collection… deserve timely publication as they are all reflecting forefront research in stress-induced depression spanning from basic to clinical research,” said Bernhard Baune, professor James Cook University, Australia.
“The employed animal models represent state-of-art research, which is promising for furthering the development of clinically relevant interventions in patients with stress-induced depression. All the papers are of high quality,” he added.
Within the collection, preclinical and clinical research papers present the results of an integrated experimental effort, employing methods from biological psychiatry, neuroscience and neuroendocrinology and emphasising how the link between stress and depression can be deeper, said a James Cook release.
The collection is to be published this week online in the open-access peer-reviewed journal PLoS ONE.
- Why we reach for chocolates during stress? - Jun 24, 2011
- Depression linked to chronic brain inflammation - Oct 21, 2010
- Scientists shed light on cellular basis of depression - Feb 24, 2011
- Speech patterns reveal depression levels - Aug 20, 2012
- Exercise can reduce impact of stress on cell aging - May 27, 2010
- Does dad's stress affect his kids? - Sep 01, 2011
- Inflammation drug promising in depression - Sep 04, 2012
- Source of happiness may lie in your gut - Jun 13, 2012
- Kids who face violence age faster - Apr 25, 2012
- Molecular evidence sheds light on women's depression - Sep 18, 2011
- Kirtan Kriya meditation good at beating stress - Jul 25, 2012
- Forgetting to eat can thin out Alzheimer's victims - Nov 22, 2011
- Financial loss can cause irrational behaviour - and more - Jun 14, 2012
- Stress can be good for immune system - Jun 22, 2012
- How anti-depressants create brain cell - Apr 13, 2011