Denzel Washington rarely likes scriptsFebruary 14th, 2012 - 2:49 am ICT by IANS
London, Feb 14 (IANS) Actor Denzel Washington admits he rarely finds the parts offered to him interesting and has to be involved in the scripts of films.
The “Safe House” actor, who also directs and produces films, and has script approval, admits he is a “logic monster” and has to run through his parts with his movie colleagues before he is happy with them.
“Nine times out of nine the script is not there, to my liking. And I’m a logic monster. If things don’t make sense, I gotta make sense out of them, and you get into the process,” he told The Observer.
Washington has won two Oscars during his career, and he admits it may have made those who vote at the Academy Awards more aware of what other African-American actors were doing in their careers, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
“You have to have a part to play, first, that’s the bottom line,” he said.
“You don’t get nominated unless you have a great role to play and you interpret the role well. So maybe it shifted voters’ attention to what certain African-Americans were doing. What Jamie Foxx did in ‘Ray’ was phenomenal, it couldn’t be denied.
“The fact that I’d won a couple of years earlier, maybe that did help for white voters to say, ‘Hey, look at Jamie Foxx over here,’ when they may not have prior to that. I don’t know. But maybe, maybe,” he added.
- Clooney can't relate to 'The Descendents' role - Jan 22, 2012
- Denzel Washington fails to impress his kids - Feb 16, 2012
- Pitt, Washington in 'Candy Store'? - Aug 25, 2012
- Vidushi Mehra trying to carve niche with small roles (With Images) - Mar 11, 2011
- Kal Penn makes a four letter call: "Vote" - Sep 05, 2012
- Only hosting, no participation in reality-shows: Rajniesh Duggal - Jul 06, 2011
- Jamie Fox, Kirstie Alley dating? - Oct 14, 2009
- Kim Kardashian still believes in love - Mar 23, 2012
- Wearing thong was daunting task for McConaughey - Jul 11, 2012
- Beckinsale wants to return to romantic comedies - Jul 09, 2012
- For 'Bumboo' director, stars don't matter - Feb 20, 2012
- The audience should have entertainment: Salman Khan (Interview) - Aug 10, 2012
- Chris Pine Is In Awe Of Denzil Washington! - Nov 01, 2010
- I get nervous on dates: Mila Kunis - Jul 26, 2012
- Without big stars, one always struggles: Nagesh Kukunoor - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: academy awards, african american actors, bottom line, colleagues, denzel washington, feb 14, femalefirst, films, jamie foxx, liking, logic, london feb, monster, nine times, oscars, safe house, script approval, scripts