Dental college strike over T-shirt tiff continuesFebruary 3rd, 2011 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 3 (IANS) Students of a dental college affiliated to the Panjab University (PU) Thursday refused to end their indefinite stir to demand the resignation of their institute director who had asked a female student to take off her jacket and show her t-shirt.Students of HS Judge Institute of Dental Sciences have submitted a memorandum, signed by over 300 students, to the PU authorities against the director of the institute, Krishan Gauba.
Students also blocked one of the entry gates of the PU campus Thursday. They are demanding the resignation of Gauba.
A female student accused Gauba of humiliating her in public. She said that Gauba had directed her to unzip her jacket and to show him the T-shirt she was wearing in front of other students.
The university authorities have constituted a four-member committee to probe the complaint and will submit a report to Vice-Chancellor R.C. Sobti Monday. The entire proceedings of the meeting of the committee would be video-graphed.
“Gauba has been continuously and persistently misbehaving, torturing, molesting and harassing the innocent students of the institute, who have been regularly and continuously complaining of his arrogant attitude. We demand his immediate ouster and replacement,” said the students’ complaint that was signed by over 300 students.
The university authorities have also suspended teaching work in the institute till Monday.
The strike has affected the services of the outpatients department (OPD) that is run by the institute.
However, the director, who was asked to proceed on leave till the completion of the inquiry, has refuted all the allegations.
“I have not done anything wrong and was doing only my duty. I had come here on deputation from the PGIMER (postgraduate institute of medical education and research) and now I am contemplating resigning from my present post,” Gauba told IANS.
“The student was wearing a T-shirt which had a heart painted in red colour with a quote ‘I love New York’. I just told her to avoid wearing such gaudy clothes as they have to look after patients and these things could send wrong messages,” he added.
Earlier in 2009, students of the same institute had problems with Gauba regarding the dress code. Girl students were not allowed to wear jeans but the direction was withdrawn after widespread protests.
- Dental college strike over T-shirt tiff continues - Feb 02, 2011
- Dental college students call off stir as principal removed - Feb 07, 2011
- Dental students go on strike over t-shirt tiff - Feb 02, 2011
- Dental college students call off stir as principal removed (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Panjab University teacher resigns - Feb 17, 2011
- Girls outshine boys at Panjab University convocation - Feb 14, 2011
- To protest or not to protest - Panjab University debates - May 04, 2011
- Probe demanded into 'bogus' Panjab University team to US (Lead) - Feb 25, 2010
- Retro to Hawaiian with a twist: Summer fashion for men - May 22, 2012
- Panjab University's dental college faces disaffiliation - Aug 09, 2010
- Chandigarh student acquitted in Boston, seeks to sit in exam - Apr 16, 2010
- Panjab University teachers see red over campus showbiz - Jan 21, 2012
- Panjab University struggles to declare exam results - Jul 01, 2010
- Panjab University rape accused was in 'bogus team' - Feb 25, 2010
- Panjab University panel to probe student's arrest in Boston - Feb 19, 2010
Tags: arrogant attitude, chandigarh, dental college, dental sciences, deputation, entry gates, innocent students, institute director, judge institute, krishan, member committee, opd, ouster, outpatients department, panjab university, postgraduate institute, r c sobti, red colour, university authorities, vice chancellor